Group Dog Training North Shore Sydney

The other thing to think about is that obedience clubs generally have lots of members & their lessons are geared towards competition obedience.

Perhaps that's the case in Sydney Vickie but it certainly isn't down here. The first few levels are strongly geared towards the skills that companion dogs need. Walking on a loose lead is one of the first exercises taught.

:laugh: Actually I guess I have no right to even say that. You're right, I'm sure things have changed a lot in Sydney since many years ago when I attended my last obedience class. I hope you find what you're looking for Thunderpants :rofl:

WOW, a Staffy x Ridge X Bull Mastiff . I bet it's got some serious muscle to pull you and the car if you ever break down.

:laugh: Without breaking a sweat.

Hope all goes well for you.

Manly and Districts trains on the North Shore

Tuesday evenings at Allan Border Oval, Mosman

Sunday and Thursday mornings at Deep Creek Reserve, Narrabeen

http://www.northernbeachesdogtraining.com.au/index.htm

Has anybody done obedience training here?

I think Poocow who is on this forum used to do agility there not sure about obedience but she would be familiar with the club.

They use food rewards or at least that is what they told me when I enquired. I am not sure if they are open to other things like tugs etc.

I used to go to Manly and Districts before I moved further north. I did the Tuesday evening classes in Mosman and did some instructing there for a while. When I was last there, they used a lot of positive reinforcement and food and promoted head collars and martingales. Didn't allow check chains (unless you were an older member :( ). It is a trialling club and they have a trialling class, however the lower levels are also geared towards pet obedience and manners. It could be reasonably busy at times. Would be fine for a social dog, but wouldn't recommend it for a reactive dog as last time I was there they didn't have a policy for dealing with reactive dogs and the owners of other 'friendly' dogs did not listen.

I used to go to Manly and Districts before I moved further north. I did the Tuesday evening classes in Mosman and did some instructing there for a while. When I was last there, they used a lot of positive reinforcement and food and promoted head collars and martingales. Didn't allow check chains (unless you were an older member :( ). It is a trialling club and they have a trialling class, however the lower levels are also geared towards pet obedience and manners. It could be reasonably busy at times. Would be fine for a social dog, but wouldn't recommend it for a reactive dog as last time I was there they didn't have a policy for dealing with reactive dogs and the owners of other 'friendly' dogs did not listen.

Thanks Kavik :( .

It's hard to know what would be best for Tilly. I suppose I could always email them and mention what obedience issues i'm having, and see if they think they can help. It says on their site that they enjoy helping change "untrained, madcap dogs", so Tilly would definitely fit that criteria :o .

She is very good at home...very content, sweet, and relaxed (unless it's playtime), but when she's out it's like she is a different dog. Normally I am the one who takes her out 95% of the time, and when my dad took her for a walk for over 2 hours the other night (plus off-leash time at an empty dog park at night), I think he finally believed what I have been saying about Tilly for a while. He said it's like she's on another plane and agreed that she was a handful to take out and it wasn't just me finding her difficult.

My personal experience with Kelpies is that they enjoy active training like agility much more than obedience classes which are slower paced.

Thanks Kavik :laugh: . Tilly would love anything fast paced!

I don't really know that much about agility (saw something about it on Cesar Millan's show a while ago), but I agree that Tilly would probably love it, especially if it involved jumping of some sort. She loves to jump (if she jumps on the lounge she effortlessly springs off from far away and it looks like she is just about levitating :thumbsup: ). She also loves balancing along the top of the lounge.

Now how fit and healthy does the owner need to be? :laugh::thumbsup: What sort of people normally do agility? Is it a real mixture of young and old?

My personal experience with Kelpies is that they enjoy active training like agility much more than obedience classes which are slower paced.

Thanks Kavik :laugh: . Tilly would love anything fast paced!

I don't really know that much about agility (saw something about it on Cesar Millan's show a while ago), but I agree that Tilly would probably love it, especially if it involved jumping of some sort. She loves to jump (if she jumps on the lounge she effortlessly springs off from far away and it looks like she is just about levitating :thumbsup: ). She also loves balancing along the top of the lounge.

Now how fit and healthy does the owner need to be? :laugh::thumbsup: What sort of people normally do agility? Is it a real mixture of young and old?

Hi Fainty Girl!

I started agility a month ago at Narrabeen (Northern Suburbs Dog training) and can reassure you it is a complete mix of young and old, fit and not so fit (both owners and dogs) :laugh: From what you say of Tilly it sounds like she would enjoy it very much: jumping, raised dog walks, tunnels etc etc.... I've got a very hyper cocker who was going beserk at obedience - sitting still for a minute is his idea of torture!

Yearly membership is 30$ i think (20$ upon renewing) and you pay 3$ each session

Yes agility is off leash, so you need a good recall. A good sit stay is very helpful for leadouts, and a drop for the table (not that the table gets practiced much where I train anyway :thumbsup: ).

Agility is where you direct the dog around an obstacle course which includes jumps, tunnels, ramps and raised walks, a seesaw, pause table, and weave through poles.

There is a mix of people and dogs of many breeds and sizes, some that do it just for fun and some to compete.

Manly and Districts trains on the North Shore

Tuesday evenings at Allan Border Oval, Mosman

Sunday and Thursday mornings at Deep Creek Reserve, Narrabeen

http://www.northernbeachesdogtraining.com.au/index.htm

Has anybody done obedience training here?

I think Poocow who is on this forum used to do agility there not sure about obedience but she would be familiar with the club.

They use food rewards or at least that is what they told me when I enquired. I am not sure if they are open to other things like tugs etc.

I still go to agility there - just not every week as it is quite a trek.

Don't do any obedience at the moment.

They use food rewards but they are fine with you using a tug reward as well.