Training Not To Eat Things Off The Ground? Is It Possible?

Is there a way of training to not eat things off the ground?

I know that is going dead against the natural instinct of what dogs do, but I guess I am scared of him being baited or poisoned (I couldnt understand why any one would want to but there are some sick people around). Had a staffy x as a kid that died of being poisoned, dont know if it was a baited or some sort of snake/spider bite, but it definately wasnt a very nice thing to go through.

Is there a way of teaching to only eat on comand, like using a "special" word, if that word is not used then they wont touch it.

At 11 weeks old, I know their mouth is their hands to explore the world with, and it is a given that he will pick up/chew/eat what ever he can, and the best thing to do is keep the place puppy proofed, but just interested in seeing if this is a possibility and if so how to go about it.

Vanessa

I say leave it also but your not going to be around your dog 24/7 as you would be saying to leave it when you are with them. When your not with them they are gonna do what they want and sniffing is what they do best.

I did teach my bitch last year at our royal not to eat the cow poop as she was doing UD trialling. Her nose never went to the ground while in the ring ( except to find what she was supposed to find ) but once she knew she was finished her work outside the ring her nose went straight to the ground and i say leave it and she does but you cant keep an eye on them all the time.

I do know of people that have trained there dogs not to take food of anyone from any surface but not sure how they do it as it would be constant training as dogs will take anything.

My bitch does food refusal in the ring as she knows she isnt allowed to touch it but anyone outside the ring she is like mmmmm thank you.

Edited by magicmine

You can but it's hard. None of mine will touch anything on the tables (even chocolate left on the coffee table right at nose height!) or dropped on the floor inside, outside requires a bit of watching though. Having said that they usually hesitate as it's been drummed into them since puppy hood and that's enough generally to get a leave it in there. I only have the one now but all mine were trained this way but then collies aren't generally terribly food driven. It's just vigilance and teaching the no and leave it commands. They go to touch and they get told to leave it. Sounds simple and it is but it can drive you nuts when they're going through the puppy stage.

We had one baited when I was growing up too. So I know what you mean, it's not nice at all.

Someone I know taught their old dog this, because I think there had been some poisoning of dogs in their area, or something like that.

The dog would not eat what was there until the owner said "paid for". If the owner was holding a treat, he'd tell the dog "no, that's not paid for" and the dog wouldn't eat it. :o

Someone I know taught their old dog this, because I think there had been some poisoning of dogs in their area, or something like that.

The dog would not eat what was there until the owner said "paid for". If the owner was holding a treat, he'd tell the dog "no, that's not paid for" and the dog wouldn't eat it. :thumbsup:

My dog does this trick only she balances the treat no her nose and then flicks it up and catches it when it has been paid for ....... even though she does try and shoplift occasionally.

I have heard stories of dogs that have been taught to eat only what is placed in thier bowl and one dog in particular who's owner ran a "test" - left a big juicy bone near the back door and hid.

Dog went outside and found the bone walked back and forth for a while before carrying the bone to its bowl and waiting for the owner to come home and then munching it down :thumbsup:

The dog would not eat what was there until the owner said "paid for". If the owner was holding a treat, he'd tell the dog "no, that's not paid for" and the dog wouldn't eat it. :thumbsup:

My dog does this trick only she balances the treat no her nose and then flicks it up and catches it when it has been paid for ....... even though she does try and shoplift occasionally.

I have heard stories of dogs that have been taught to eat only what is placed in thier bowl and one dog in particular who's owner ran a "test" - left a big juicy bone near the back door and hid.

Dog went outside and found the bone walked back and forth for a while before carrying the bone to its bowl and waiting for the owner to come home and then munching it down :)

I have met dogs that have been bait/food refusal trained.

You can throw the nicest bit of meet at their feet, unless you give the special word and its in their bowl, these dogs won't touch it.

While I had 2 dogs, I had 2 different bowls, each dog knew which was theirs and wouldn't touch food out of the other, we made sure they knew that to stop any fighting over dinner.

My boy won't touch any food in his bowl until commanded, and most of the time he wont touch treats from others (except for the vet, I can't seem to stop that! but I think Demon insists he gets it after where the thermometer went! :cheer: )

Also to add - there are books out there on Bait training, but they can get pretty exxy.

Edited by callee

I will say though if you do teach a dog to eat only on command you must for their sake ensure that they will respond to that command from someone else, and that people know this. If something happens to you and no one knows the command or the dog won't respond to anyone else, well it's not a very nice for the dog and some will hang in there and not eat for a long time.

So by all means teach them and have some fun with it but just make sure that anyone who might be called upon to look after you dog in an emergency knows.

We use "take it" as in you can take it around here and they are good. They won't touch with out permission.