Cocker Spaniel Questions

It really is not a lot of effort but it's amazing how some owners spend $1000 on a dog and then don't ever brush it. I put bows in my grooming clients ears and an alarming amount of them come back 3,4 or 6mths later with the bows matted in the filthy ear. Last week I had a shih tzu come in... with her christmas bows still in!!!

That's :laugh: and :)

but as a groomer of 20+ yrs, I've yet to see ONE pet cocker owner who is prepared to do this grooming at home.

The greater majority of ours do.

We groom alot breeds where hand stripping is ideally better & all are shown how to do it .

setters,spaniels etc etc

Certainly some cant be bothered & if the coat isnt maintained then yes it often ends up clipped because you cant over strip in one session & they do nothing for 3 months .

The biggest issue we have with cocker breeders is they tell there puppy buyers not to do much till 12 months &then then end up with a over grown wolly & it is hard work to strip it out.

Starting early makes it so much easier .

All you need is a coat king,slick & easy stone.When pup comes home a flea/nit comb works wonders.

Luke nope not in Melb but ask cocker breeders if they can suggest someone.

All the breeders here recommend us,Breeders often now those WHO will strip & make every effort .

It isnt that hard but the key is to get the dog done professionally more often.Dont leave till its so wild or beyond salvaging

I like to give my pet owners the chance to understand what choices they have with the coat and what will happen if the coat isn't cared for.

The coats on some cockers now are getting that heavy that they are hard work to maintain, particularly those from show lines with a lot of black on them.

If the stripping side is to much for an owner to keep up with, particularly if the dog is desexed, there is no shame in having the dog clipped on the back, head etc and the furnishings trimmed to a more practical length.

I am in Sydney's eastern suburbs

I have looked at two sites which have been sent to me (thank you!) and I feel my husband and I will be fine.

He grooms our rough collie each week and I am sure you know that is a job and a half!!!!!!!

Last week he put George up on the table after finishing Rosie the collie (she takes at least 45 min, normally more) and put George through his paces!!! Lie down, sit still, etc etc and George was much better than we expected. He has obviously been brushed before but I imagine not regularly and not shown how to lie etc.

So, my husband will be taking over the grooming of George too and I have shown him the pix on the sites on the net.

After finishing George's session last week he said 'that was a piece of cake after the collie!'

For your interest, George is an Amscel cocker, name Amscel Golden Flame and I have contacted his breeder to let her know he has changed owners.

As an aside, before I married (a long time ago!) I had a samoyed who used to be regularly groomed and he used to come back with a blue ribbon round his neck... very fetching!

I won't be breeding or showing George and I am still trying to get a reply from his original owner re did she second vaccinate or not... I can't have him desexed without the second vacc.

Are there cocker spaniel meets in the Sydney area where cockers get together and have fun? I realise I can't do anything until I get him desexed (and second vacc by the look of it).

I can't have him desexed without the second vacc

Why.

Lots of dogs are spayed within unknown vacc history.

At his age if your not completely sure just get a parvo only booster

the rspca are going to do the desexing and they require proof of second vaccination!

I am in Sydney's eastern suburbs

I have looked at two sites which have been sent to me (thank you!) and I feel my husband and I will be fine.

He grooms our rough collie each week and I am sure you know that is a job and a half!!!!!!!

Last week he put George up on the table after finishing Rosie the collie (she takes at least 45 min, normally more) and put George through his paces!!! Lie down, sit still, etc etc and George was much better than we expected. He has obviously been brushed before but I imagine not regularly and not shown how to lie etc.

So, my husband will be taking over the grooming of George too and I have shown him the pix on the sites on the net.

After finishing George's session last week he said 'that was a piece of cake after the collie!'

For your interest, George is an Amscel cocker, name Amscel Golden Flame and I have contacted his breeder to let her know he has changed owners.

As an aside, before I married (a long time ago!) I had a samoyed who used to be regularly groomed and he used to come back with a blue ribbon round his neck... very fetching!

I won't be breeding or showing George and I am still trying to get a reply from his original owner re did she second vaccinate or not... I can't have him desexed without the second vacc.

Are there cocker spaniel meets in the Sydney area where cockers get together and have fun? I realise I can't do anything until I get him desexed (and second vacc by the look of it).

Not cocker meets - but there are quite a few of us with cockers. Come to the Breed Sub Forums and find the cocker thread and chat to us there.

I groom my cocker at home, hes due for a trim now actually.