What Would You Do?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bridgie Bear, I had to let my Coco (RIP) go to the bridge at 15.5yrs. I waited until a Friday so that my son could drive me to and from the vet's, as I knew my heart would break and I wanted a weekend to deal with my grief away from work. My boy had Cushing's and many of the problems you describe. At the end my boy's kidneys started to pack up and he was not happy at making puddles in the house.

Many hugs Bridgie, the pain will be immense at first but it will lessen with time.

Bridgie Bear, I had to let my Coco (RIP) go to the bridge at 15.5yrs. I waited until a Friday so that my son could drive me to and from the vet's, as I knew my heart would break and I wanted a weekend to deal with my grief away from work. My boy had Cushing's and many of the problems you describe. At the end my boy's kidneys started to pack up and he was not happy at making puddles in the house.

Many hugs Bridgie, the pain will be immense at first but it will lessen with time.

thank you so much for your lovely words... I'm so sorry about your Coco...

Thanks... We're as ok as we can be... Just about to call the vet...

We are all thinking of you. It never gets any easier, but at least we can peacefully give them their wings so they do not have to suffer. HUgs to all

It sounds like you are doubting yourself, because you know what you are thinking is not in the same line with your Vet, who you said you respect. Feel ok about YOUR decision, that will be made out of LOVE and RESPECT for your little dog. It is a painful time, that is for sure. When I read your post, I feel your dilemma. But, to answer your question, 'What would I do'... well I would say my good byes and live with all the wonderful memories over the last 14 years.

I had to make this decision at the start of the year as well. And to be perfectly honestly, although I miss my Daisy dearly, once I actually made the decision, to say good bye, I felt 100% lighter. At the time, I thought this was a bit weird, but it weirdly felt like a lovely ending to her wonderful life. Over my Daisy's last 2 days, I spoilt her rotten and just reminisced and it felt good to send her to a better place than where she was at that point in her life. I felt at piece, despite thinking that I was going to feel ROTTEN/GUILTY/SAD... I was sad, don't get me wrong, but it felt good 'freeing' her from the life she was living...

All the best, I sense you are a strong woman, who gave your boy a wonderfully live... a lot to celebrate I think!

Thanks... We're as ok as we can be... Just about to call the vet...

We are all thinking of you. It never gets any easier, but at least we can peacefully give them their wings so they do not have to suffer. HUgs to all

Thank you very much...:thumbsup: You summed it up very well... I want to peacefully give him his wings so he doesnt have to suffer...

It sounds like you are doubting yourself, because you know what you are thinking is not in the same line with your Vet, who you said you respect. Feel ok about YOUR decision, that will be made out of LOVE and RESPECT for your little dog. It is a painful time, that is for sure. When I read your post, I feel your dilemma. But, to answer your question, 'What would I do'... well I would say my good byes and live with all the wonderful memories over the last 14 years.

I had to make this decision at the start of the year as well. And to be perfectly honestly, although I miss my Daisy dearly, once I actually made the decision, to say good bye, I felt 100% lighter. At the time, I thought this was a bit weird, but it weirdly felt like a lovely ending to her wonderful life. Over my Daisy's last 2 days, I spoilt her rotten and just reminisced and it felt good to send her to a better place than where she was at that point in her life. I felt at piece, despite thinking that I was going to feel ROTTEN/GUILTY/SAD... I was sad, don't get me wrong, but it felt good 'freeing' her from the life she was living...

All the best, I sense you are a strong woman, who gave your boy a wonderfully live... a lot to celebrate I think!

Totally - I am 100% doubting myself... I would be so surprised if anyone didnt doubt this decision - esp the first time it has to be made. I do know that I am doing the right thing deep down... I'm just having to muster up the strength and courage to let myself know that 100%. I will miss him forever - he'll never be far from my thoughts and I'd like to think I will remember him as the spunky monkey he once was. Thank you :laugh:

***ETA***

Just wanted to add in some piccies of him...

048.jpg

018.jpg

Edited by brigie bear

I just wanted to give both you and your dog big (((((HUGS))))), I am going through the same thing at the moment (although my dog is only 9) and each day wake up thinking 'oh god will this be the day'.

I just wanted to give both you and your dog big (((((HUGS))))), I am going through the same thing at the moment (although my dog is only 9) and each day wake up thinking 'oh god will this be the day'.

Sorry to hear that Melo... So you havent made the decision to give your dog its wings? If you dont mind me asking, whats wrong with him/her? Big Hugs to you.

No Tara is still with us, just not sure she is ready to go just yet as still wants to go for her 5 minute walk and is still eating, but I still look at her each day trying to decide if I am doing the right thing. She started with a seperation in her elbow joint which was not too bad, but now overtime she has arthritis in it, plus her knee joints in both front legs are feeling the strain. Her back also has problems in that there is fusing and alot of arthritis, which the vet was surprised when he xrayed her that she is even walking at all :thumbsup: . She had acupuncture treatments that have relieved her back tenfold, but unfortunately it just does not seem to be helping her front legs. She is on Metacam (anti-inflamm) & Tramal (pain relief), so we have really done all we can for her. (And yes I blame myself everyday as most of these problems come about because of our over-grown Shepherd's rough play, so I failed in protecting her from the damage)

Anyway, back to you, and I understand totally what you are going through in trying to make the right decision at the right time, playing 'god' as they say, its just a real pity that dogs age so quickly and have to leave us so soon. :o

No Tara is still with us, just not sure she is ready to go just yet as still wants to go for her 5 minute walk and is still eating, but I still look at her each day trying to decide if I am doing the right thing. She started with a seperation in her elbow joint which was not too bad, but now overtime she has arthritis in it, plus her knee joints in both front legs are feeling the strain. Her back also has problems in that there is fusing and alot of arthritis, which the vet was surprised when he xrayed her that she is even walking at all :thumbsup: . She had acupuncture treatments that have relieved her back tenfold, but unfortunately it just does not seem to be helping her front legs. She is on Metacam (anti-inflamm) & Tramal (pain relief), so we have really done all we can for her. (And yes I blame myself everyday as most of these problems come about because of our over-grown Shepherd's rough play, so I failed in protecting her from the damage)

Anyway, back to you, and I understand totally what you are going through in trying to make the right decision at the right time, playing 'god' as they say, its just a real pity that dogs age so quickly and have to leave us so soon. :o

I really feel for you because I am basically in the same situation - he is still eating etc and will walk a teeny bit etc. hes also on metacam... i also look at him 100 times a day and doubt myself. how do i have the right to decide this? although i have already decided, as i mentioned, i keep doubting myself and cant make that phone call. i have tried and tried and i cant do it. i WILL do it... i need to muster up more strength.

I am also in this difficult position. My 13 year old dog has multiple problems and is also blind, but seems happy and likes his little walk each day and loves his dinner and treats. He can get up and down comfortably, find his water bowl and sits in his basket.

I regularly have him assessed by my vets in case I can't see "the signs". I know the day will come sooner than later, and like you, am dreading it. I will choose quality of life over quantity, and when the quality is gone, he will get his wings.

Can those of you with Cushing's dogs please remeber that the disease makes them ravenous and is eating away at all of the muscles in their bodies. Please do not think that just because they are eating they are OK, they are not OK and the muscle weakness causes a lot of pain. (I have a human friend with Cushing's, so I know how she feels).