Snatching Objects Off The Ground

giraffez

Hi,

I just want to get some suggestions as how i should handle this. Sometimes my pup quickly snatches something we accidently drop on the ground and run as fast as he could away. if is it a sock or a piece of clothing then there is no harm done to the dog but I am concerned that if he ever picks up anything that he shouldn't, it could hurt him (eg. a small object that he could swallow).

The more i chase him, the more he runs away. How can i make him stop. He knows stay but won't listen to the command when he is on the run.

Thanks

Edited by giraffez

Don't chase him!!

You chasing him is the reason he keeps doing it - its a big game to him now as he knows he will get a reaction.

Don't chase but wait and then approach him without any fuss or noise and take the object and give him one of his own toys instead.

He'll get bored of the game when he realises he does not get a response or game from you.

Don't give him the stay command when he is running away - you are also teaching him that stay means run away fast from you.

Edited by Danois

Hi,

I just want to get some suggestions as how i should handle this. Sometimes my pup quickly snatches something we accidently drop on the ground and run as fast as he could away. if is it a sock or a piece of clothing then there is no harm done to the dog but I am concerned that if he ever picks up anything that he shouldn't, it could hurt him (eg. a small object that he could swallow).

The more i chase him, the more he runs away. How can i make him stop. He knows stay but won't listen to the command when he is on the run.

Thanks

I'm sure sure others would have better ideas.

The only thing that comes to mind for me is:

1. Don't drop stuff

2. Teach "Leave it"

3. Don't chase him.

i taught my dog an "emergency" word which is wait. when i call this pout she stops whatever she is doing and waits until i come over to her. she doesn't moved once i call this word.

this means that if anything bad happens i know she will stop immediately.

this has worked on more than one occassion. once she got spooked and races down the street (long story) but when i called wait she stopped immediately and i went over to her.

I haven't got a lot of experience - but I do have a puppy so have gone through this too recently.

Like your pup, ours got very excited at the thought of a game of chasey through the house. I have been teaching our puppy to "leave" and to "give". Now, when he nicks something and I notice, I will ask him to "leave" it. If he is within reach, I will ask him to "give" it. I was very surprised how quickly he learnt to do this. He gets heaps of praise and a treat whenever he does leave or give. At first, I thought he was maybe doing it deliberately, because he knew that he would get something good if he took something then left it. And I think he probably was a bit, but he doesn't seem to do that now.

We have two small children who can't be trained so easily to pick up their toys. It was far easier to teach the dog!!

If he chases / retrieves things during play, have play sessions with him and try to teach him to learn how to 'drop' something in his mouth.

We have been able to teach our pup to drop whatever is in his mouth by saying 'off'. You should be able to find some techniques here on DOL, but bascially, play fetch with him, when he drops the item, give him heaps of praise (also reward him by playing with him more).

We even managed to get ours to drop a yummy bone today (after a few times of giving the command :love: )

We have a retriever so it's a natural instinct but it might be something worth trying to teach.

i taught my dog an "emergency" word which is wait. when i call this pout she stops whatever she is doing and waits until i come over to her. she doesn't moved once i call this word.

this means that if anything bad happens i know she will stop immediately.

this has worked on more than one occassion. once she got spooked and races down the street (long story) but when i called wait she stopped immediately and i went over to her.

How did you do that??? I got a feeling my pup will just ignore! :laugh:

i've been trying to teach it to drop with fetch but it doesnt work without food! :o

How did you do that??? I got a feeling my pup will just ignore! :laugh:

i've been trying to teach it to drop with fetch but it doesnt work without food! :o

Try teaching it just as a stand alone command, not only when your dog nicks off with something.

Does the dog think the food is a bribe or a reward? I think it should be seen as a reward. Others will know more about this.