Alternative To Rmb?

raffikki

I know how you feel, I fed my boy brisket when he was a pup (which at the time I had been told was fine) and he spent the night throwing up little pieces, took me years to be game to give him a bone again and I gave him a big leg bone, cos I figured that would be safe, he chomped off a big piece off the knobly bit of the end and threw that up in the middle of the night

Now I only give whole carcasses, as they have to chew them up pretty well to be able to swallow them, the bones get crushed up and cos the skin holds it all together they cant swallow til it is crushed. I dont give necks or wings, as they chomp once then swallow (Or just swallow and dont chew at all)

My boy could be the last dog in the universe with a mountain of bones in front of him and he would still gulp and inhale his food

Nope mine does that too.

And the chucking up if I give him bigger bones.

If I feed wings I kind of hold on to them till he starts crunching, otherwise it goes straight down :laugh:

Same with large pieces of meat. I have on occasion fed bits of slightly out of date steak to them and watched as $10.50 worth of steak was inhaled without touching the sides.

Must be a stafford thing :laugh:

:laugh: Sounds like my ACDX. He inhales lumps of meat too!

I am totally paranoid too.

My 14 wk old lab has a chew or two on chicken necks and wings then tries to swallow. I have since avoided them.

Bought him a chook frame yesterday then thought that might be too big, chopped off a decent sized bit of that - he chewed once or twice and swallowed. He gagged a couple of times just to add to my anxiety.

Gave him a veal shank over the weekend which he loved (and kept him going for 2 hours) and chomped down to a size that was stripped bare but still too big too swallow ... but made his gums red and bled a little causing more angst - for me.

Next I'll try turkey necks but I'm still not comfy with anything - perhaps when his adult teeth come through I'll try the big lamb and beef bones again

Gagging sometimes isnt as bad as people think. My ACDX tends to gag a bit because he as eaten too fast, he will normally regurgitate it and then chew it some more. I say definatly try turkey necks! :( My two love them, and actually chew them before swallowing. :) Also a little bleeding around the gums isnt that bad either, he's probably just knocked his teeth a little on the bone and they aren't quite used to chomping on something so hard. Veal shanks are excellent to keep them occupied [although with my ACDX chews the meat off in about 15 minutes then the bone is chomped on for a few hours...and its all gone!]

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

megan_, of course you are right(along with the majority who replied to this thread)

mrs tornsocks, I'm glad you managed to find something you are comfortable feeding :laugh:

I have managed to give them necks and wings for the last few mornings and each time I give them my fear is slowly subsiding :eek:

I have, today, bought kg's of necks and wings, and will be giving them to the pups every morning from now on(as their breeder suggests).

Electra even lost her first tooth yesterday while chomping on a wing!

Thanks to everyone for helping me with this paranoia of mine!!