Some Questions On My Dog's Temperament

Guest Tess32

Guest Tess32

I have an 18 month old Collie Rough. He is exceptionally bright - very quick to learn.

The only thing that 'bothers' me is that he is *extremely* excitable. Sometimes he's like an elastic band always ready to go pop!

If his 'greetings' were encouraged he'd go nutty every time I got home - so far I've managed to get him to sit instead, but I do not know whether to praise this because even though he is sitting, he is still extremely excited and tense and it takes ALL his concentrating to sit still!

He absolutely craves human attention. I only have to move an inch in my chair sometimes and he wakes up to watch what I'm doing. He gets insanely happy just from being patted!

What's the best way to handle this kind of temperament? I just feel like this much excitement can't be the best for him, though I don't want to make him sound nuts - he DOES calm down of an evening and he's happy to curl up to me on the bed or on his bed etc.

He is a GREAT dog, I just haven't met a Collie or dog like him before so not sure what is best for him.

He sounds like a lovely dog :laugh: .

A couple of thoughts...

does any aspect of his behaviour actually bother you? or do you just find it unusual?

One of mine sounds very similar, but it's only when I am asking her to do something. She is totally beside herself to do it. Without attention from me, she is totally settled & like your boy, happy to follow me around, curl up on me or lay at my feet. I have never greeted her when I get home, so this is quite a non event for her, but I should imagine she would be the same as your boy if I had made a fuss or asked something of her, even as simple as a sit.

Is it possible his diet may be too high in protein? We win food occasionally at trials & I can see it impact my dogs if it has different protein levels to what they are used to.

I would say that if his diet is suitable & he is not exhibiting any anxious beahviours, then this may be just who he is. I love this type of dog personally. They are such a joy to train & make you smile each & every minute.

Tess32 - I know what you mean and my 1 year old boy is similar. The only difference is that my boy has a lot more strength and weight behind him and no-one would enjoy what I call his "red-cordial" moments. My other concern is that he goes so wild with happiness that his fine tail whacks the corners of my walls, so much so that he has been making it bleed. I'm thinking of somehow wrapping cardboard at the wall and door corners until I can get his excitement under control, for his own safety.

But in the meantime, I completely ignore (which is something that is hard to do when you're also trying to save a tail :laugh:). Even if he is sitting - until he becomes calm-submissive, there's no point in giving him attention as that part of his brain which is "red-cordial" boils over yet again.

So - even if your dog is sitting at greeting, I'd ignore until the tension has dissipated and she is relaxed enough to even look at something else other than you. Then keep your attentions at very low key.

IOW, teach your dog it is the "calm emotion" that will be rewarded, rather than just the "outward unreliable behaviour", if that makes sense.

Edited by Erny

I agree with Vicki. Maturity has much to do with it as well. My boy is improving compared to 6 months ago, which is when his rampant greeting behaviour really began to get over the top. So I just keep working on it whilst his mind is maturing.

Edited by Erny

Guest Tess32

Nah it doesn't really bother me - I was just worried he's not HAPPY even though he always looks like it, hehe. He does settle down and go to sleep in the evening but if I LOOK at him he starts to wiggle! Everyone kind of says a calm dog is a happy dog but well...

He gets fed raw but I don't think it would be too high in protein, he has same as the other two and has a pretty good balance of bone/meat - mostly chicken frames, turkey frames, lamb necks and so on.

He's also entire.

Guest Tess32

K, that's what I thought - I'm just rewarding his excited state of mind even though he's sitting.

I swear, he's only a collie on the outside!

I've had one or two minor fights between him and my other boy but Noah doesn't start anything, just wants to keep going once it does. He is ok outside by himself in the day as long as he has dog company. The few times he'd been by himself, he starts sitting there howling very mournfully, heh.

I've just started working on stays again after quite a break and he's quite good so maybe he's learning some self control I guess.

I'm going to take him herding soon too, maybe that will either help, or his brain will pop, hehe.

Is just hard, I don't want to stuff him up because he's a one in a million really.

What are your plans for him? Is he a pet? a showdog? a sports dog?

I think this matters, well it does to me anyway.

My girls both pull on the lead, not excessively (they are only 15kgs) but they are in a hurry usually. Pretty much the only time I ever have them on lead is at training or a trial. They drag me to the ring, literally. Some may see this as bad behaviour, but it does not bother me one bit. I love that they can't wait to run and it does not impact other areas of our lives.

They have a sit/drop stay & they are both solid...but their eyes are wild...waiting, waiting, waiting for the release.

I don't really want calm dogs. I like them just the way they are. It is who they are & a big part of what I love about them. Could I train them to be calm when I interact with them? Probably, but honestly I don't think I am a good enough trainer that I would not reduce some of their enthusiasm for training.

I think it's worth thinking about. It is often quite easy to take enthusiasm out & a whole lot harder to put it back in.

Edited by Vickie

Guest Tess32

He was a showdog but he's not cut out for it, so I want to do obedience with him (he's probably almost ready for CCD I guess), and maybe herding. He pretty much is at novice standard at HOME, but I haven't proofed him yet so probably going to join a club and get him used to that. He is interested in other dogs but gets over it, as he live with two others and has other dogs come to our house.

Interesting what you've said though - maybe I'm just conditioned to think there is something wrong with him when there isn't!

He really is great, and as far as I can think of, I don't think he has any anxious behaviours or anything. No sign of seperation anxiety and so on. He doesn't like being left alone but he doesn't have a hissy fit.

I think he sounds lovely and a very happy boy :laugh:

That enthusiasm will make training fun :laugh:

If his behaviour isn't a problem for you I would say it is just the way he is and use it!

Poppy is very calm - except when he is greeting people. She goes nuts! Especially for me. She squeaks, bounces, growls, has to have a 'present' (stick, rock, leaf) to give. Most of the time the paws don't land on me! When she comes in at night, she bolts to find a toy and then squeaks and growls like a nut.

I like it though!

She is super eager to please and is always up for a training session.

Guest Tess32

hehe oh yeah, he'd have an Eager to Please t-shirt if he wore clothes.

If I get down on the floor, he starts some hysterical moaning and trying to find a toy to take advantage of the situation, hehe.

Honestly, have never met a Collie like him. I'm pretty sure even my other two look at him and wonder, heh.

Tess don't worry Noah is fine. Some of them are just like that. He's young too and most Collies don't mentally mature until they're 3ish. He's a beautiful lovely intelligent young man who just loves you to utter bits. Koori can be a bit OTT too, very vocal and rather over excited. Some of the higher drive ones are like that, it just that most Collies aren't very high drive and are to be honest a bit lazy. :laugh: I've had one very like Noah and Koori has her moments. He'll settle a bit in the next couple of years.

But in the meantime, I completely ignore (which is something that is hard to do when you're also trying to save a tail :thumbsup:). Even if he is sitting - until he becomes calm-submissive, there's no point in giving him attention as that part of his brain which is "red-cordial" boils over yet again.

So - even if your dog is sitting at greeting, I'd ignore until the tension has dissipated and she is relaxed enough to even look at something else other than you. Then keep your attentions at very low key.

IOW, teach your dog it is the "calm emotion" that will be rewarded, rather than just the "outward unreliable behaviour", if that makes sense.

We have been ignoring our dog when cominge home for about 2 years now and she still will try it on. :laugh:

I know what to do, she knows what is acceptable, but she just cant control herself! She is a tart and gets excited about anyone, not just the family. :)

Mind you she is getting better as she gets older (she is 2 and a half) and will quickly run to her bed almost immediately now when she remembers its not on.

Guest Tess32
Tess don't worry Noah is fine. Some of them are just like that. He's young too and most Collies don't mentally mature until they're 3ish. He's a beautiful lovely intelligent young man who just loves you to utter bits. Koori can be a bit OTT too, very vocal and rather over excited. Some of the higher drive ones are like that, it just that most Collies aren't very high drive and are to be honest a bit lazy. :thumbsup: I've had one very like Noah and Koori has her moments. He'll settle a bit in the next couple of years.

Least that means I can find another one like him in years to come :laugh:

Oh you will Tess. They're great fun aren't they but they can run you ragged. Dog sports will give him an outlet and a mental outlet will help him. Herding, obedience, tracking endurance, agility there's no shortage of stuff to keep his little brain occupied. The question is can you stand the pace. :thumbsup: The lady with the two Vimtar dogs does tracking. Both her boys have their Tracking Championships, and the people with Dalwood Nashville Blu have done agility and obedience. I'm around if you want to chat about obedience too. How's his leg by the way?

The higher drive Collies I've seen all seem to come from similar bloodlines, so you'll manage to find another one if you have any energy left after young Noah's finished with you!

Guest Tess32
Oh you will Tess. They're great fun aren't they but they can run you ragged. Dog sports will give him an outlet and a mental outlet will help him. Herding, obedience, tracking endurance, agility there's no shortage of stuff to keep his little brain occupied. The question is can you stand the pace. :thumbsup: The lady with the two Vimtar dogs does tracking. Both her boys have their Tracking Championships, and the people with Dalwood Nashville Blu have done agility and obedience. I'm around if you want to chat about obedience too. How's his leg by the way?

The higher drive Collies I've seen all seem to come from similar bloodlines, so you'll manage to find another one if you have any energy left after young Noah's finished with you!

:o His leg seems ok, just stable, and no one really figured out what was wrong with him! So would probably avoid agility just in case. He did do a lot of swimming sessions to build up that muscle so I think that did help.

Vimtar don't breed anymore do they? I do know Thunder, he's a gorgeous boy.

I think once you've had this kinda collie I won't wanna go back, hehehe.

I don't know, I don't think Vimtar breed any more either. I did ask Gail but she didn't know. Thunder is lovely a total gentleman too.

I'm sure his owner would chat with you about tracking if you're interested she's lovely too. Tracking might be better than herding if his leg's a worry herding can be high impact too. Though I don't think it would be an issue at the HIC level.

Did you ever try acupuncture with Noah? Of everything we've done with Koori the red light acutherapy has helped the most.