Fighting On Me

rexiam

Hi rexiam :laugh:

I can completely understand the drama you are having as I also have 2 puppies(though they are a little younger than yours)

My girl, Electra, always tries to rev Rhino up if I'm sitting outside :laugh: (almost like she's jealous if he's getting any attention)

I have found using treats to settle them, eg. getting them to sit nicely together next to me, works wonders.

They both know they need to be calm to get the treats, there for they are learning to be quiet when around me :)

personally? call a trainer in to help. If you are roaring and they are ignoring you then SOMETHING is not right in the situation. Its very strange for them to just ignore you when you're making that much noise!

they still need the one on one time but I think getting a professional opinion will be better. There may be other parts of their lives that need tweaking as well in order to get everything happy again :laugh:

Hi rexiam :)

I can completely understand the drama you are having as I also have 2 puppies(though they are a little younger than yours)

My girl, Electra, always tries to rev Rhino up if I'm sitting outside :thumbsup: (almost like she's jealous if he's getting any attention)

I have found using treats to settle them, eg. getting them to sit nicely together next to me, works wonders.

They both know they need to be calm to get the treats, there for they are learning to be quiet when around me :hitself:

They will sit and be calm for treats. I will try that a bit more.

I love your sig...they are sooo cute!

personally? call a trainer in to help. If you are roaring and they are ignoring you then SOMETHING is not right in the situation. Its very strange for them to just ignore you when you're making that much noise!

they still need the one on one time but I think getting a professional opinion will be better. There may be other parts of their lives that need tweaking as well in order to get everything happy again :walkdog:

They listen for a quick second, I will say good, then back on in to it they go.

Am I expecting too much too quick? Should I be happy that I have a look?

The lady from training has info for me and I will see her on Monday for a opinion.

Well i am replying to my own question and yes I have solved it myself :happydance:

Threw away all the stuff that is going on in my head and just did what I have always done with my dogs.

Think I am over anxious that I will stuff up too pups and will not have 2 good dogs like we did with Rex and Sam. So no pressure on myself and no more reading / watching DVD's til I need to. :happydance:

That's great to hear rexiam :happydance:

I had an anxious day a few days back and was almost in tears, next day I just told myself to stop worrying.

I would love to know what you mean when you say

and just did what I have always done with my dogs.

Are you doing anything in particular OR did you just mean that you've stopped worrying so much?

I have firstly stopped worrying so much and secondly I think I have slowed with the reading. After reading all of Cesar Millan's books and watching DVD's , going to see him live , then reading lots from here my head has been spinning :happydance:

Just think i put too much pressure on myself and the pups. :happydance: I have relaxed heaps and keep telling myself they are only pups. They are not going to be perfect :shhh: Then after going to puppy preschool...OMG they are soooo well behaved I realised how much work we have put into them and they are really going great guns :happydance:

I am more relaxed and not thinking negative things. Yes they are still at times palyfighting on me, but I am handling it more relaxed and they seem to be responding better to me. The fighting on me is less and less.

Edited by rexiam

:happydance: congratulations!!!!

Great to hear your problem is solved :happydance: you're a brave lady for taking on 2 puppies at the same time but the fact you solved it yourself ...

hubby needs to take you out to dinner for this you know ... tell him I said so O_o :happydance:

;) congratulations!!!!

Great to hear your problem is solved :whee: you're a brave lady for taking on 2 puppies at the same time but the fact you solved it yourself ...

hubby needs to take you out to dinner for this you know ... tell him I said so O_o :happydance:

:laugh::whee: OH is very subdued as I was the one saying to him"Are you crazy...no way are we getting too puppies" Of course he wore me down....even tho i know that I am the one who does 99% of the work - he is often away with work.

Will have to say that he is stepping up to the plate. The fact he came and sat with Master 6 and watched us at puppy preschool is a great effort on him. Plus he is coming on walks too. I think he can see how much better they are.

We will get there ..eventually - I HOPE! :whee:

Could you tell me for my own curiousity. We have a delta trainer in town. If I wanted to ever get someone out, how do I find another type of trainer? I live out Central West of NSW. When you suggested professional help..I wondered where I would find someone??

"Roaring" IMO is more like a distraction - something to stop them in their tracks, but not necessarily something that communicates your displeasure. I'm more inclined to try to mimic the sounds that one higher ranking dog would give to a subordinate. Those sounds are not necessarily loud, but they are meaningful. Along with the sound, comes the glaring look/stare.

When my current boy was a pup he really didn't give a rats about the growly "aagh" sound. In fact, he thought that was fun and would quickly and easily challenge me back (yep - he was a feisty pup). So I did the next 'up the scale' thing that another dog might do, and that was to 'snarl' and become super serious about it. He responded to that. Fortunately, I don't have to do the full lip curl and snarl sound because it really wasn't a good look and anyone watching who didn't understand what I was doing would have thought I'd gone loopy. With a bit of time and my boy learning the ropes, I was able to reduce the 'snarl' to a mini-snort and that was enough for him to understand my displeasure. And now all I have to do is give him 'the look' and he tends to back off on whatever he might be doing at the time. And if he's not looking at me for me to give him the look, an "Oi" usually does the trick.

Oh - and meant to add : It might be as simple as claiming your space. If they're sitting on you or any part of you, nudge them off - preferably without using your hands and preferably without making eye contact or giving anything they might perceive as your attention when they do.