Puppy Not Wanting To Eat Any Of Her Food

=SaNdY^BaBii=

:laugh:

Hi All,

I have had my puppy MOMO for about 2 months now, everything has been well until recently.

When I first got her, she ate Royal Canine puppy and was happy with that.

I then started feeding her some raw bone/meat and she was happy with that too.

Basically she ate everything that was fed to her happily.

We occasionally slipped her some table scraps. But only tiny pieces and not all the time.

The last week when the Royal canine finished, we purchased a bag of Eukanuba and at the start she happily ate it too.

The last few days, she started to stop eating much of anything I gave her.

She didn't want any of the dry food if she could, even the chicken wings, pork she didn't want.

sometimes if I fed it to her in my hand she would eat it. But if I left it in the bowls she wouldn't eat it.

But when I am having dinner she would still come and try to get something to eat.

Yesterday after she went to do a poop, I saw that there was blood arond her bum and it seems like she had the runs too.

But when she came in she still happily played with her toy and doesn't seem to be in pain or discomfort.

Anyone have any idea at all what's happening? :o

Take her to the vet for a check up.

If you suddenly changed dry foods, this could very well have upset her stomach and she'not been able to recover from the upset. If you were happy with the results of the Royal Canin and she was doing well, why did you change dry ?

Blood from the rectum is not to be messed with, off to the vet for a checkup.

If you got her when she was 8 weeks old and have had her for 2 months, she'll be teething about now - many puppies stop eating or are reluctant to eat while teething.

Is there a reason you changed from Royal Canine to Eukanuba? How did you switch - gradually or cold turkey? What else have you done to the pup in the last few days - worming, flea treatments etc. These are all things the vet will want to know.

Good luck - report back :laugh:

Edited by Sandra777

If you just suddenly changed food - she could well have an upset stomach.

As said- if she is teething, she may have sore gums, too.

Take her to a vet- blood/runny poo can mean all sorts of probs- and she needs to be checked out.

hi all,

thanks for all your replies.

I have booked her in for the VET tonight.

we changed the brand as I thought Eukanuba was a good brand too. So i thought i'd give that a try.

But didn't really ease into it. so that might be problem one.

I also wormed her a few days ago, but the last time before that when I wormed her she didn't seem to have a problem.

She is 4 month old now. So maybe it's the teething?

if that was the case, what can I do to help her eat again?

thanks all!

I have booked her in for the VET tonight.

:laugh: Always the best place to start - especially with a puppy. It's probably nothing major, but better safe than sorry!

we changed the brand as I thought Eukanuba was a good brand too. So i thought i'd give that a try.

But didn't really ease into it. so that might be problem one.

Tut Tut :D Oh well, now you know!

She is 4 month old now. So maybe it's the teething?

if that was the case, what can I do to help her eat again?

Get an all clear from the vet first, but with teething puppies it's sometimes necessary to soak the dry food, feed mince instead of whole chunks of meat that sort of thing just for a couple of days. You can also try some tempting stuff like roast chicken, sardines, cheese, cat food etc on the regular food to tempt them for a little while too.

What sized puppy are we talking about?

Took MOMO to the VET last night to get her last C4 shot and check up.

Vet said she seems ok! Told Vet about the blood and runny poop and not eating.

She said might just be change in food or upset tummy but nothing to worry about :thumbsup:

Last night I boiled some chicken and rice, she ate the chicken but left the rice ;)

Might keep trying and see.

Took MOMO to the VET last night to get her last C4 shot and check up.

She said might just be change in food or upset tummy but nothing to worry about :)

Might - hope you didn't pay a lot for a might! Was the chance of Parvo mentioned. Were you told of any other signs to watch out for. Were you told how long it was "OK" for a puppy to bleed internally?

Vaccinating an unwell puppy ;) :):):):laugh:

Last night I boiled some chicken and rice, she ate the chicken but left the rice :laugh:

Might keep trying and see.

Well IMO she doesn't need the rice, but if you want to feed it, cook it in the water you cook the chicken in to make it actually taste like something a dog might want to eat ;) and then cut the chicken up very small (virtually mince it) and mix it well with the rice.

Hope Momo's better today?

Hi All,

The appointment was actually made for the vac, not the sickness.

It just happens that she was sick the day before so I thought I better mention it to the VET when we were there.

Not the other way round! :thumbsup:

Yesterday I tried to fee her the dry food and she didn't want it. But when I fed her mince meat she gulped it down in 2 seconds.

So I think she's just being picky.

This morning I mixed the dry food with the minced meat and she happily ate it all.

Good start! Might keep doing this!

No runny or blood poop anymore so that's good too!

She has been playing happily the whole time as well so that's a good sign.

Thanks everyone!