Prong Collars

I own a young dog who is a beast on the lead and I don't want it to get any worse. All the one step, stop be a tree, reward for not pulling, changing direction etc etc does not work. I have been reading on the web about prong collars. People who have purchased and used them seem to be very happy with the outcome.

I understand they look really, really bad but I would appreciate any comments about them. All I would like is for my dog to walk loose on the lead or would it be better to engage a really good trainer to put the dog on the right track?? :laugh:

I own a young dog who is a beast on the lead and I don't want it to get any worse. All the one step, stop be a tree, reward for not pulling, changing direction etc etc does not work. I have been reading on the web about prong collars. People who have purchased and used them seem to be very happy with the outcome.

I understand they look really, really bad but I would appreciate any comments about them. All I would like is for my dog to walk loose on the lead or would it be better to engage a really good trainer to put the dog on the right track?? :laugh:

I would recommend consulting a professional first - at least then, they can assess what training and if necessary, what tool is best for your dog. If that happens to be a prong collar then they can show you how to fit it and use it properly. They can also explain how the collar works and will prescribe a training program to go with the use of the collar.

Where are you located, maybe we can recommend a trainer for you?

Ditto what Huski said.

Prongs are a good training tool but like all they need to be used properly. After seeing a trainer you might find that you can achieve what you want on a martingale or another training tool.

IMO - engage a trainer AND at least discuss training equipment. It is no secret that I recognise and support the benefits the PPCollar ("Pressure Point Collar" also known to some as Pinch or Prong collar). Looks bad I agree. But contrary to what some people will tell you, it certainly isn't as bad as some other of the readily available and easily purchased training items which can be picked up even in supermarkets.

But regardless of what training tool you use - it's always best if you engage a good 'all round' trainer to explain the tool to you (the good and the potentially bad) and to give you some tutoring/coaching on how to use it properly with your dog. A good 'all round' trainer should also be able to determine what training tool will work the best for your dog and yourself.

I have had some clients who when they've initially had a lesson with me, I've kept them on their dog's flat collar (not that this is ideal for the dog either) until I've been a bit more assured that they're handling skill has improved sufficiently to be able to use a training collar properly. Sometimes I've even had them practice with the lead attached to some inert item such as a fence. This has worked just so as I can given them an idea about how to transfer the correct message through the lead. The latter is of course to save the dog from the mistakes during this initial practice. It doesn't take much until they have the idea.

I have also had some clients who have said that the PPCollar in their opinion is what they needed, but when I've worked with them and shown them how to properly use the training tool THEY thought wasn't working (eg. Martingale or Check Chain) the dog has responded well. It was only that they weren't working the tool as it should have been.

The PPCollar would have been fine (it is a collar that is IMO kinder to the dog physically than some others and I do prefer it to the Check Chain or even in some cases to the Martingale) but because of the difficulties and awkwardness that has been created by some organisations successfully pushing for and supporting it being banned from use here in Victoria (only place in the World where it is so banned), they've managed well enough with the Martingale or Chain that they already had, with the help of a lesson or two or three. It's isn't only about what your body does (eg. stop/turn) it is about what you do with the lead, how you do it and when you do it, that counts.

(As an aside, a non-doggy friend of mine came over to visit me in recent times - haven't seen her for ages. She knew I had been heavily involved in submission to Govt to change our current dreconian law which bans the use of this very excellent training tool. Anyway, she wanted to know what the PPCollar was about, so I dug it out from the back of one of my cupboards to show her. She put it on her leg and tried tugging it - at first tentatively, then even harder when the first attempts didn't "do" anything. She looked at me with a "is that all?" comment. The collar's looks are certainly worse than its bite. I'd rather a good hard tug from a PPCollar than I would from a check chain or head collar.)

Edited by Erny

Prongs are banned in quite a few states.. where are you?

No - by law, they are only banned from use in Victoria.

However, there are some clubs/schools that won't allow them to be used on their grounds during training. But that is a matter of policy, not law.

although I dont use them on my dogs (only because they dont need one) I have no problem with them if used correctly, as mentioned above see a professional first, try to get a trainer which is "balanced" i.e. happy to use whatever method will suit you and your dog not just purely positive methods...

I live in the Hunter Valley area of NSW. I do not know of any GOOD dog trainers around the area. I don't think pcollars are banned here, I have visited some dog training classes around the area to see what and how things happen (you know the one's which are held each weekend) as I would like to attend one of these. Most of them do not allow pcollars and really don't like check collars either.

So what do you do - let the dog pull you everywhere teaching it bad habits while it's choking itself, don't take it for walks or I know, buy a doggy pram :laugh:

So what do you do - let the dog pull you everywhere teaching it bad habits while it's choking itself, don't take it for walks or I know, buy a doggy pram :laugh:

Well, the issue is that if you just stick a PP collar on your dog and don't know what you're doing, then:

a) you could hurt the dog, or (perhaps more likely),

b) it might not work at all and your dog might learn to just pull through the PP collar.

Those issues aren't unique to the PP collar, of course, they're shared by any correction collar or headcollar if you don't know how to use them properly.

Even though I do personally prefer the PP collar to the checkchain or headcollar, if you have someone local who can teach you how to use a headcollar or checkchain correctly, I'd suggest you go get a lesson with them rather than experiment with a PP collar by yourself.

I think K9Force has a distance learning program you can do about loose leash walking if there are genuinely no good trainers near you, and you just can't travel.

I live in the Hunter Valley area of NSW. I do not know of any GOOD dog trainers around the area.

Steve Courtney from K9 Force would be the best person to contact. I think he's in the Hawkesbury region???

I live in the Hunter Valley area of NSW. I do not know of any GOOD dog trainers around the area. I don't think pcollars are banned here, I have visited some dog training classes around the area to see what and how things happen (you know the one's which are held each weekend) as I would like to attend one of these. Most of them do not allow pcollars and really don't like check collars either.

So what do you do - let the dog pull you everywhere teaching it bad habits while it's choking itself, don't take it for walks or I know, buy a doggy pram :D

Get some private lessons.

K9 Force :laugh: ..... Kurrajong Heights in the Hawkesbury area. (ETA : Oops! Miranda already said this - sorry to repeat :mad ) Only about 2 or 2.5 hours away from you. Would be worth its weight in gold for his instruction.

Edited by Erny

So what do you do - let the dog pull you everywhere teaching it bad habits while it's choking itself, don't take it for walks or I know, buy a doggy pram :o

Well, the issue is that if you just stick a PP collar on your dog and don't know what you're doing, then:

a) you could hurt the dog, or (perhaps more likely),

b) it might not work at all and your dog might learn to just pull through the PP collar.

Those issues aren't unique to the PP collar, of course, they're shared by any correction collar or headcollar if you don't know how to use them properly.

Even though I do personally prefer the PP collar to the checkchain or headcollar, if you have someone local who can teach you how to use a headcollar or checkchain correctly, I'd suggest you go get a lesson with them rather than experiment with a PP collar by yourself.

I think K9Force has a distance learning program you can do about loose leash walking if there are genuinely no good trainers near you, and you just can't travel.

Additionally, the prong is not for everyone- myself for example. :(

I have used one in the past following the help of a trainer and found I didnt have the stomach for it- my dog is DA and I just could not manage to correct her properly in a reactive situation which in turn made the issue worse.

Its unfortunate because I did find it to be an amazing tool, worked wonderfully at keeping her on a loose lead (and she was a pulling beast without it). Instead I reverted back to a martingale which has taken a lot longer (over a year) to get her to looselead walk but we got there eventually.

K9 Force :o ..... Kurrajong Heights in the Hawkesbury area. (ETA : Oops! Miranda already said this - sorry to repeat :( ) Only about 2 or 2.5 hours away from you. Would be worth its weight in gold for his instruction.

I'm glad you confirmed Steve's location Erny because I wasn't quite sure :D

Definitely see a professional (I recommend Steve at k9force) before you put one on your dog. I had big problems with my dog (pulling and dog aggression) and used to prong collar on him. He is 100% better and the prong gave very very fast results but it is only a tool and doesn't replace good training.

That's great, Paganman. But "PPCollar" :laugh: :wink: . What it is called DOES count. Not because there's anything to hide, but I find that calling it a "prong" collar turns people off before you've even had a chance to explain to them what it is about; its effects. For this reason I think it would be very advantageous in the long term if people got used to referring to it as the "Pressure Point Collar". At least that way their minds have a chance of remaining a bit open - enough to then educate them on how it works on the dog. It's not me just being anal :thumbsup:.

ETA: Where have some of our emoticons gone? I notice that :wink: and ;) are both MIA now :eek:.

Edited by Erny

:laugh: Don't be embarressed and I didn't necessarily mean you had to change it here, but thanks for doing so.

What I really mean is that I think it would be a good thing if people became so accustomed to referring to it as a "Pressure Point Collar" (or PPCollar for short) both in speech (as well as in writing) the name would catch on more.

But cheers, and thanks :laugh:.