Which 17-50 / 18-50 To Purchase

Have trawled through other forums including DSLRUsers, Nikonians etc, but thought I'd get a little advice from those on here who I know and have seen photos from.

I'm upgrading my kit lenses for my D80 and have moved from the 55-200 AF-S kit lens to a fantastic Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM MACRO lens, which I love.

The difficult decision is the 17-55 kit lens.

The choice for my budget seems to be either the Sigma 17-50 EX DC Macro or the Tamron 18-50 XR IF.

Does anyone have experience with either / both lenses?

Thanks

Andrew

Cant help with eother of these brands in those particaular sizes, but I have the Tamron 18 - 250 and I dont like it at all, not sure if others have had similar experiences but I find it slow and sluggish and seem to always revert back to my kit lense of 18 - 135 so much faster. Maybe Im not doing something right so if anyone has any lense tips for me to try id be wrapped. I should have saved the extra few hundred and went with the nikon lense.

I also have the nikon 50mm 1.8 and it is a great lense at a cheap price!! There is a thread in the photo section with all the pics form everyones 50 mm

Cant help with eother of these brands in those particaular sizes, but I have the Tamron 18 - 250 and I dont like it at all, not sure if others have had similar experiences but I find it slow and sluggish and seem to always revert back to my kit lense of 18 - 135 so much faster. Maybe Im not doing something right so if anyone has any lense tips for me to try id be wrapped. I should have saved the extra few hundred and went with the nikon lense.

I also have the nikon 50mm 1.8 and it is a great lense at a cheap price!! There is a thread in the photo section with all the pics form everyones 50 mm

I've heard mixed things about the 18-250 too, hence why I've gone for the 70-200 to cover that range. The Nikon 18-200 would be the only one I'd go for if I wanted an "all rounder" but that is still pretty slow and soft at the longer end.

It is the lower zoom range that I am after now.... then if it I can get it past the OH, maybe a 1.4 50mm, but the SB-800 will probably come before that!

Back to the 17-50 debate anyone?

Edited by SchnauzerBoy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all... I am off at lunch time to pick up my new Sigma 18-50 EX DC f2.8 HSM.

Read many reviews you guys have posted as well as external sites, and it seems that the Sigma and Tamron run quite close. However, the HSM with the Sigma seems to be a little faster than the Tamron system, and the sharpness / CA etc being better, it was an easy decision.

Photos will be taken at the weekend :hitself:

The only 55-200 AF-S DX VR IF ED has been sold now... no use for it and I'm sure the 18-55 DX VR IF ED will be up for grabs in the not too distant future :laugh:

The pro lenses are here.... now all I need to do is work on composition and PP!

• 2 weeks later...