Pug Puppy Behavour

hello all

i am new to the puppy world and new to PUG's

my PUG pup is 8 weeks old and seems to enjoy eating everything including my jeans/fingers/blinds etc....

we cant seem to pat him as he thinks its all a big game and he just wont sit still... is this normal for a puppy his age ??? is it due to teething ???

my partner is getting very frustrated that he keeps biteing and just wont sit still or even want to cuddle ...

what can we do to help with the process ???

thanks guys

Puppies are all go Go GO!!! Everythings a game, everythings fun. It's up to you to show him rules and boundaries, its all about consistency. If you are going to set a rule (ie no mouthing of the hands) do it every single time, every time he mouths your say NO in a firm voice, or if that doesn't work, YELP loud like another pup would, and immediately get up and turn away from him and walk off. Puppies hate being ignored. In a month or 2 he will hardly do it if you keep up the consistency now, although I know it seems like they will never stop doing the bad things!

Welcome Kingy to the world of Pugs...:laugh: They are a bit thicker than some and do take being persistent and consistent with them. When he starts to bite try distracting him his toys and let him know its ok to bite them but not your hands. If he plays enough with you he will be happy to go to sleep on your lap while you watch tele. The only way I could save everyones toes here is to make sure everyone has good slippers. :D You could also give him a time out in a puppy pen when he wont listen to you. Because he is a Pug he will be double the trouble of "just a dog" :cheer:

You could also contact your breeder and they might have some tips for you too. :rofl:

thanks for your advice i will be contacting the breeder today and see what tips i can get...

yeh i have had pups before but the PUG just seems to have to much engery he just wont stop the little bugger haha

Drop into the breed sub-forum under the general section and find the pug thread. Everyone in there is lovely and they have a wealth of knowledge.

Hate to say it, but I think what your experiencing is a standard pug thing... they're all a bit mad ;)

Your puppy is mouthing. Because he no longer has littermates to learn bite inhibition from, you'll have to teach him. How long have you had him.. the reason registered breeders keep their pups until at least 8 weeks old is because they teach each other a lot until that age.

Search on "mouthing" in the puppy problems sub forum. You'll find a raft of threads created by puppy owners experiencing what you are - its perfectly normal puppy behaviour. He's months away from teething. He doesn't have hands to touch and feel as he explores the world so he uses his mouth.

Have a good read of the training section of Dogstardaily lots of good tips there. Your partner needs to read it too. No point being frustrated.. better to shape the behaviour you want to see.

He's a baby. He needs guidance and training. He needs training just as much as a German Shepherd or a Border Collie does if he's to learn self control and manners. Book into puppy preschool and I'd suggest you do at least 12 months obedience training with him - Pugs can be quite good at it. ;)

Edited by poodlefan