Do Sterilized Females Still Give Off A 'scent'?

Hi all

Wondering if anyone knows or can give me an opinion:

My female Kirra is 6 years old, she was sterilized 5 and 1/2 years ago. My oldest dog Bomber (he is 11) 'freaks out' around her every so often (seems to be sometimes once a month, sometimes every couple of months) he basically acts how I would think he would act if she was on heat. He continuously tries to mount her, whines constantly, pants all the time and is just really restless. This goes on for about 3 or 4 days then everything is back to normal.

Its happening again at the moment, but now we also have Zeus who is 8 months old - he is also trying to mount her (not a good thing at all because they are already tetchy with each other at the moment and when he does it they end up fighting).

BUT Kirra has also has had bad allergies since she was a pup (allergies are mostly under control but sometimes they flare up due to weather changes etc).

Im wondering whether the behavior by the boys is bought on purely by her allergies, or if she could be giving off some sort of scent when she would normally go on heat if she hadnt been sterilized, and even whether her hormones still change at this time and maybe this sets off her allergies.....

Oh, and Zeus is sterilized, Bomber is not.

Hope that rambling post makes some sense!

dogs dont come on heat once a month so are you sure there isnt a bitch/s on heat in your area stirring him up?

does she put up with it? does she act like a bitch would? Sometimes if they are in heat or close to heat the vets can leave a little piece of ovary in which produces heat like symptoms in a bitch.

I think the little one is simply copying :) I wouldnt let him keep doing it or there will be a dog fight. She will only tolerate so much harrasment.

dogs dont come on heat once a month so are you sure there isnt a bitch/s on heat in your area stirring him up?

does she put up with it? does she act like a bitch would? Sometimes if they are in heat or close to heat the vets can leave a little piece of ovary in which produces heat like symptoms in a bitch.

I think the little one is simply copying :) I wouldnt let him keep doing it or there will be a dog fight. She will only tolerate so much harrasment.

Hmmm, maybe there is another dog around - all of our neighbours have dogs - although he mostly does it when she's inside, not out (unless he can still smell them?)

She tolerates it for a while from the older dog (because she only has to lift a lip at him when she's had enough and he'll stop trying to mount her and just whine next to her) she doesnt tolerate it at all from the younger dog - and there has already been a few fights :)

Most intact males i have had my girl (desexed) around always try to mount her.

Really? Interesting - she doesnt see many other dogs other than her 'family' so Im not sure whether other dogs would try and mount her or not. The only other dog she sees is my Mums dog on occassion (and he tries to mount everything in sight anyway - she doesnt normally worry about him as he's only 3kgs and can only attach himself to her leg :) )

I have an entire bitch and dog and he doest dance around her trying to mount all the time

if he does she has a go, or I tell him off for his behavior.

I think it comes to how much he can get away with. If he starts, put him outside until he settles down I wouldnt tolerate any of it. Your other pup is still young, if you older male keeps exhibiting mating behaviors and the pup reaches maturity and tries to knock him off the perch you will have trouble.

have you considered desexing him or giving him the implant to settle his hormones?

I have an entire bitch and dog and he doest dance around her trying to mount all the time

if he does she has a go, or I tell him off for his behavior.

I think it comes to how much he can get away with. If he starts, put him outside until he settles down I wouldnt tolerate any of it. Your other pup is still young, if you older male keeps exhibiting mating behaviors and the pup reaches maturity and tries to knock him off the perch you will have trouble.

have you considered desexing him or giving him the implant to settle his hormones?

I havent heard about the implant? Can you tell me about it?

The reason we're not getting him desexed is because we think he's a little old to put him through an 'unnecessary' operation. He most definitely should have been desexed many years ago but we were inexperienced dog owners all those years ago and just didnt do it.

Perhaps it is not your bitch causing this behaviour at all !

Your old boy may have problems ,making HIS hormones unstable..perhaps an imbalance somewhere- or a growth on a gland.... I have no idea- but would have him checked out- and do blood tests etc to rule out anything nasty :)

My boy acts as if my bitch is on heat every now and then and she has been desexed for more than 5 years. I think sometimes UTI can confuse them and then there's just your avergae body changes that let off different chemicals.

I'd probably have your girl and boy checked out to be on the safe side.

Edited by sas

Perhaps it is not your bitch causing this behaviour at all !

Your old boy may have problems ,making HIS hormones unstable..perhaps an imbalance somewhere- or a growth on a gland.... I have no idea- but would have him checked out- and do blood tests etc to rule out anything nasty :)

Aha - I hadnt thought of that - good idea!

My boy acts as if my bitch is on heat every now and then and she has been desexed for more than 5 years. I think sometimes UTI can confuse them and then there's just your avergae body changes that let off different chemicals.

I'd probably have your girl and boy checked out to be on the safe side.

Thanks - I will do!

he's not too old at all, especially with his carrying on I wouldnt see a problem getting him desexed as well as a vet check

Really? I was under the impression that at his age he shouldnt go under anesthetic unless absolutely necessary? I discussed it with a vet at one stage (having him desexed) and they were of the opinion that it would make no difference now? Maybe though if it is his hormones going a bit crazy it would help - maybe they were referring to the learned mounting behavior...

i would do a full blood test and see how his organs are going, then see how his hormones are. Its very stressful physiologically for an animal to be over-hormoned and pining for mating all the time as well!

The implants are a chemical castration but needs doing on a regular basis. If you are uncomfortable with surgery then it is something else to discuss with your vet :)

i would do a full blood test and see how his organs are going, then see how his hormones are. Its very stressful physiologically for an animal to be over-hormoned and pining for mating all the time as well!

The implants are a chemical castration but needs doing on a regular basis. If you are uncomfortable with surgery then it is something else to discuss with your vet :thumbsup:

Great - thanks for the info Nekhbet :happydance: