Help 9 Wk Old Golden - Inside Dog

cassvanm

Hi all

I have a beautiful 9 week old golden retriever pup named Scout. I got her from a reg. breeder, and she is such a delight. That being said, she's now "woken up" and is not so sleepy, and as a result is VERY rambunctious! I got her to be a family companion dog (I have 3 daughters - 5yrs, 4yrs, 10mths), but mainly to be my companion dog.

I am not quite sure how to go about having her inside without bounding around and jumping on the kids! I definately don't want to relegate her to the back yard (so NOT what I want to do), so I am seeking advice from experienced dog owners. How do I teach Scout that it's not ok to jump, bounce, zoom, chase & mouth the kids and cats? How do I teach her that when she's inside she is to be calm, and she can be as mad as a hatter outside?

Thanks in advance and anticipation of your wisdom :)

Cass

I expect you'll get some advice on crating which others are much more qualified than I to give, so I'll leave it to them.

But asking a 9 week old puppy not to be rumbunctious is tough, it sort of comes with the territory. With a good routine and consistency she will learn that inside is for calm time, but it won't come quickly at that age. She's a baby, and babies are hard work!

yes, a 9 week old puppy is full of love, joy and energy ! :laugh:

This sounds really obvious, but she doesn't really know what's wrong and right in your eyes and so that takes quite a bit of work in the early days, not always easy I'm sure with three little skin kids. Patience and consistency are the keys ....

The kids are excitable, running etc., this brings up her excitement levels as well.

If you don't use one already, I highly recommend a crate. There are many threads here on suggestions for crating and if you do a search under puppy problems, you should find quite a few. Try this

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...33&hl=crate

Basically the crate can be a good area for her to go when she needs calming, and is also a good place for her to escape the kids when she's tired. It's by no means punishment - she needs to love the crate (and that takes practice as well) but it's a good option for inside.

Jumping - don't pay her any attention when she jumps and somehow you have to tell the kids the same thing. Make her sit every time - no sit, no affection, not even a pat. When you come into the room she's in, or she comes into the room you're in, do not immediately shower her with attention and oohs and ahhs and squeals.

Are you going to puppy school ? Great place to learn some basics.

Mouthing is another issue - that's how pups discover the world and finds out stuff, not to mention she will teeth before too long. There are various methods to try and stop her doing this, try these threads ....

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...9&hl=biting

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...9&hl=biting

I think the above is fabulous advice. Scout doesn't know right from wrong now - it's up to you to teach her how to behave. I agree with the above, plus i'd keep her on a lead so that she doesn't have the opportunity to go bounding around and jumping up on the kids. Make her sit patiently before any interaction with the kids and if everyone is just too excitable, i'd pop Scout in the crate with a toy for a while. It will take a lot of work, especially in the first 6 months! Relegating her to the backyard will be futile as she will grow quickly then you'll have a monster on your hands. The more work you can put into her now, the better adult dog she will become.

Just saw the other thread - she's looking gorgeous. She still has those mischievous eyes though LOL

Thanks guys :champagne:

I got impatient and posted this on the general discussion area, and got heaps of responses. I am definatly going with the crate training, and am definatly NOT going to relegate her to the backyard :laugh:

Thank you for the links tornsocks, they are fantastic, and I'm off now to find out some more :crossfingers: