Puppy Medication, De-sexing

Hi all

In about 5 weeks, Jo and myself will be picking up our Labrador Retriever puppy - Beau. Our breeder tells us that the puppy will have all of his vaccinations done by this stage and that he will also be microchipped. Looking on the internet at a site my parents recommended (http://www.vetshopaustralia.com.au), there are many medications to choose from for fleas, ticks, worms, etc. I was told this website provides the medications a bit cheaper. So I decided to make a bit of a summary of what I read and wanted to see what others who have experience with labs think...

Heartgard Plus

A monthly meaty chew used for the prevention of heartworm disease and the control of roundworms and hookworms. Given once a month year round.

Up to 11kg (6 chews) - $28.95 (blue)

12 to 22kg (6 chews) - $33.95 (green)

23 to 45kg (6 chews) - $38.95 (brown)

Frontline Plus

A topical application for the treatment and prevention of fleas and ticks. Apply every month to treat for fleas, every two weeks for paralysis ticks and every month for brown dog ticks.

Up to 10kg (6 pipettes) - $53.45

10 to 20kg (6 pipettes) - $55.45

20 to 40kg (6 pipettes) - $58.45

Drontal Allwormer

Used for the control of gastrointestinal worms in dogs including roundworm, hookworm, whip worm and tapeworm.

Worm puppies every 2 weeks from 2 weeks until 12 weeks old then;

Every month from 3 months until 6 months then;

Every 3 months as an adult dog

Up to 3kg (4 tabs) - $9.11

Up to 10kg (5 chews) - $24.86

Up to 35kg (2 chews) - $28.50

I'm thinking that I'll need to administer Heartgard Plus and Frontline Plus once a month, with Drontal as above (i.e. every 2 weeks from 2 weeks until 12 weeks old then every month from 3 months until 6 months and then every 3 months as an adult dog). Is this right? I don't want to over-medicate the poor little guy, but I also don't want him (excuse the pun) to end up as sick as a dog!

Lastly, how old should he be when we get him de-sexed, and how much does it usually cost?

Edited by Matthew_B

I heartworm every month and I used to use HG but now use Valuheart - not a chewable tablet but just as effective and half the price - makes a big didfference when you have multiple dogs.

I am very anti applying flea prevention every month if the dog and the surrounds do not have any flea activity. If I see a flea on any of the dogs then everyone gets a dose as does the surrounds but otherwise I leave them alone. I believe dosing every month because you can is over medicating the dog.

I also use tick collars as I have previously found the applications are ineffective in ticks. Gastro worming as prescribed in your post is my usual method.

Desexing costs vary from vet to vet. You will need to ring around to get the best price but remember cheap doesn't always mean good :laugh: In terms of age I leave my lot until after their growth plates close before I desex - I will leave it to the Lab experts to give advice on your breed.

Edited by Fit for a King

You want to look for a product or products that will cover your dog for heartworm and the intestinal worms which are roundworm, hookworm, whip worm and tapeworm.

If you have fleas in your area then you may want a product to cover that as well.

Speak to your breeder and your vet about these things.

I have found the cheapest and easiest for my large breed dog is Sentinel Spectrum (or Interceptor Spectrum if fleas are not a problem in your area - they aren't in ours). If ticks were in our area I'd probably use a tick collar as well.

If ticks were a problem you would have to use an additional product because Sentinel doesn't 'do' ticks. :)

I also use Sentinel and I administer it every 6 weeks. Works fine for me. ! tab, covers everything (except ticks).

:laugh::vomit: if your lab is gonna be 8wks when you get him,he will still need his C5 at either 10 weeks (new inj) or his 12wks and booster at 16wks then indoors for 2 weeks before socialization and make sure you get the papers for his micro-chipping to do the change of owner asap.................