Adt Dog Training Closed

Oops. Sorry Erny when we were discussing ADT training expertise years ago(and the significance of NDTF's qualification), I must have misunderstood.

Remind me, where do NDTF trainees and graduates gain practical experience?

NDTF has expanded considerably to include practical experience at other places - all the more to provide students with a concept of different styles of training views and methods of teaching and also for the convenience of the students depending on where they lived.

Edited by Erny

I did the ndtf course and loved all of it bar ADT. I thought ADT were an embarrassment and a disgrace ! The majority, NOT ALL, but the majority of Instructors were so puffed up , strutting around too full of their own importance to know anything on how to help dogs or their owners........and very few knew anything about dogs and how to train them. In the time I had to attend I saw situations that were borderline to downright cruelty....ignorant instructors telling ignorant owners what to do with their dogs. So, on this alone I am glad they have gone belly up !

I did the ndtf course and loved all of it bar ADT. I thought ADT were an embarrassment and a disgrace ! The majority, NOT ALL, but the majority of Instructors were so puffed up , strutting around too full of their own importance to know anything on how to help dogs or their owners........and very few knew anything about dogs and how to train them. In the time I had to attend I saw situations that were borderline to downright cruelty....ignorant instructors telling ignorant owners what to do with their dogs. So, on this alone I am glad they have gone belly up !

I am sorry that you experienced ADT in this way. I trained my dog there for 2.5 years. My daughter trained her dog there and my son was training there. None of us saw any cruelty. I never came across any ignorant trainers. If we ever had a question during the week they were a phone call away. One or two trainers may be more difficult to relate to but that is true in any situation. Those trainers became our friends as did class members. We never got to thank them or say good bye. We have no way of contacting people.

There are always going to be people who relate better to one method of training or company better than others. I think to call them an embarrassment and a disgrace is far from the truth. Not so sure about the management.

I think your comments are harsh and uninformed. Dog training is all about keeping an open mind and not just using one particular method over another. I have never seen cruelty at ADT and believe me I would be the first to say something. I have had nothing but good experiences with the trainers and clients at ADT. The so called "ignorant" trainers you speak of have all done the NDTF course and where employed by ADT because of their enthusiasm, passion, skill and integrity for dog training. The "ignorant" clients are their because they see the value and need to train their dogs. IMO if you are to be a great dog trainer then you need an open mind...something you appear to be lacking judging by your comments

Edited by missmoo

I'm a little at loss here... both my whippets were signed up for platinum and I was going to sign Faith up for training too... sigh...

Where are you located? I've joined a VCA club now that ADT has closed. It doesn't meet my requirements 100%, but it is affordable and good if you don't have a dog with extreme problems.

FOR THOSE THAT ARE AFFECTED BY THE ADT CLOSURE

If you are a dog owner that has been left with questions about where to head with your dog training now that ADT has closed its doors, I have endeavoured to list some basic points for your consideration in another chat thread listed below:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...73438&st=15

It is my hope that it gives a little practical and impartial guidance to people that are searching for a new trainer or obedience club. If you are trying to make an informed decision then I would recommend giving it look.

Hope that it helps a few of you out!

Warm regards to all,

Brad

It's always good to welcome new members to the forums. Without trying to sound cynical we hope that you are joining for the right reasons.

Since the collapse of ADT there have been a number of posts that whether intentional or not have in some way tried to direct clients or persons including former ADT instructors to themselves or a business they are involved with. I do not believe this is in the spirit of the forum.

My thoughts have been to direct people to the NDTF website (hopefully to an organisation that may be able to assist in a manner somewhat similar to ADT) or to VCA website to their obedience affiliates.

Any training for dogs in the community has got to be a benefit to the community. Afterall its about Promoting Responsible Dog Ownership.

Brad, do you intend to hang around and be a member here? Or are you just interested in the ADT closures??

Pretty fair question Jules, so I shall endeavour to answer it fully.

I LOOOOVVVEEEEEEE the idea of a bunch of likeminded people with open minds and a passion for dogs being open to learning from eachother, challenge each other to refine their ideas and evolve their thinking, working towards the common goal of becoming more informed, having better understanding, and supporting each other throughout that process.

Already it has been posted that I have 'ruffled many feathers', and although I have made apologies via posting and a PM or two, I'm not yet sure if I am up to dealing with the politics of it all. Also, I think that I clearly have a utopian view of what the k9 community could (should?) be like, and I'm not too sure if others care to have those types of dialogs at all, let alone with me.

I'm enjoying checking out some of the wonderful posts on here and getting a feel for the place, and after my disasterous debut this morning I may test the waters, make a few posts, and see how my opinions and input are recieved.

I guess in short Jules my answer is I would very much like to hang around on here, however I don't enjoy conflict and if I put noses out of joint by sharing an honest opinion or offering advice that upsets other people then I would prefer not to be the cause of any unease or tension.

Hope that answer works for you Jules!

Have a great night,

Brad

It's always good to welcome new members to the forums. Without trying to sound cynical we hope that you are joining for the right reasons.

Since the collapse of ADT there have been a number of posts that whether intentional or not have in some way tried to direct clients or persons including former ADT instructors to themselves or a business they are involved with. I do not believe this is in the spirit of the forum.

My thoughts have been to direct people to the NDTF website (hopefully to an organisation that may be able to assist in a manner somewhat similar to ADT) or to VCA website to their obedience affiliates.

Any training for dogs in the community has got to be a benefit to the community. Afterall its about Promoting Responsible Dog Ownership.

Nicely put Wayrod.

I personally am upset for the Melbourne dog training and owning world that ADT has closed, for both personal and professional reasons, and also for the clients and the staff affected. I have quite a few buddies that worked for ADT, some that have really helped me in many ways throughout the years.

I agree that the NDTF is a great organisation, and my email clearly shows my respect for them. Whilst I cannot comment on the other posts you mentioned as I have not come across any yet, I have not yet attempted to promote myself in such a way, and have only sought to provide some knowledge and insight to people who now have to start again at other clubs and find somewhere that they feel comfortable training.

I use my real name, I have tried rigourously to communicate in a clear fashion that gets across the exact point that I have made, and have not attempted to do anything other than to be of service to those affected by my objective and free advice.

Hope that was a response you find complete and to satisfaction Wayrod, and thanks for bringing these concerns to my attention.

Have a great night mate.

Brad

Hi Brad

I think discussion forums operate best as a DISCUSSION, so posts read best if done as a conversation rather than a statement. There are many different views on here and occasionally things get heated :love: but it is not often that there is a serious conflict.

Cheers Kavik:)

I agree that these forums are about discussion, but if my post gets a couple of people talking about what they consider important, even if they disagree with what I wrote, then I would consider that to be stimulating discussion.

Some people place far more importance on the social aspect and the enjoyment they take from working with their dogs, and this is not wrong or right, it's just their take on things.

The points I made in my debut post were, as stated, for the people that were left with doubt about where they head next. I'm really happy for anyone that finds it of use, and just assumed that those that found it of little or no value to their situation would simply scroll past it and not give it a second thought.

Thanks for the input Kavik, I appreciate the tips and will certainly take them on board and use them in future.

Brad