Is This Balanced?

My GSD weighs 30kg, and i give her around 800g - 1kg of meat every morning;

Meat consists of the following to make up the weight of:

- chicken carcass

- chicken legs/wings

- beef mince (human grade top)

- sometimes small amounts of chopped liver, heart etc but she wont eat it

- i give her food scraps from tea and food from the fridge that i wont eat anymore, when it comes up, so very randomly (steak, chicken, yoghurt, stew, dinners, veges,) All this is very small so i dont think should be included in the analyse.

- plus about 300g Royal canin on top of the meat about two - three days a week which will take her a day or two to fully finish.

- an egg two or three times a week

Would this be balanced?

thats an aweful lot of meat - if you are trying a prey model diet then you need to include more offal. If she wont eat the offal then she will be missing out so I would be sticking to RC more times per week and giving her RMBs as well every day.

Human grade meat is useless for a dog. Its usually low in fat, low in blood (has to be drained or it stinks yet that is where a lot of good stuff is :thumbsup: ) and low in calcium. get a 'scraps' mince which is everything including offal minced up if you want to feed mince.

Im not sure about balanced .... hopefully one of the more knowledgeable peeps will answer that for ytou.

Seems like a lot of food though. But she is probably highly energetic.

I feed one of my Sibe's 400 grams and he weighs 30 kgs. Although I am trying to lose some weight off him.

thats an aweful lot of meat - if you are trying a prey model diet then you need to include more offal. If she wont eat the offal then she will be missing out so I would be sticking to RC more times per week and giving her RMBs as well every day.

Human grade meat is useless for a dog. Its usually low in fat, low in blood (has to be drained or it stinks yet that is where a lot of good stuff is :thumbsup: ) and low in calcium. get a 'scraps' mince which is everything including offal minced up if you want to feed mince.

Thanks nek, she needs that much lol. I like the idea of mincing the offal, why didn’t I think of that? Anyway, will get minced offal and ask for a ‘scraps’ mince. Interesting about the human grade mince…

Im not sure about balanced .... hopefully one of the more knowledgeable peeps will answer that for ytou.

Seems like a lot of food though. But she is probably highly energetic.

I feed one of my Sibe's 400 grams and he weighs 30 kgs. Although I am trying to lose some weight off him.

aww, thats not fair, that would be soo much cheaper if thats all i had to give her. I made a topic couple weeks back about her weight because i thought she might have been a bit underweight but all said she was fine.

The discussion for 'Help me get weight on my dog'

Edited by WildatHeart

wildatheard she looks good, its nice to see a lean dog instead of a fat one!

the RC might put more weight on her, and give her lamb flaps etc which have a higher fat content. Lean red meat is really not good enough for a dog unless you want to start mixing things.

there is also the Vets All Natural health booster powder if you want to make sure she's getting all the trace elements and vits/mins she needs if you want to back off from the RC. remember too she does need some fibre in her diet to keep her guts moving, if you want to go prey model you need to feed her some whole animals as the fur acts like a clean out to push the bone matter through OR give her dry food every day. Meat is not the whole thing, there is connective tissue, fat, bone etc that is included in a more 'wild type' diet.

dont worry I wont even eat a lot of human grade meat myself :thumbsup: I find it either stinks or it hasnt been hung and hence is full of water (thats why the supermarkets usually vacuum seal now as the high water content in the meat will leak out or make it rot faster)

I would suggest (froma very basic point of view I might add) if you feed more vegies (pulped through juicer or processor) and combined with natural full fat yoghurt you could cut down on the amount of meat she eats. Plus the cost will come down when you buy minced meat/chicken which includes the bones, skin, offal - plus it will be more balanced! :thumbsup:

See this thread - been excellent for me as I am still learning about raw feeding and researching it has been much easier because of the wonderful helpful posts everyone is putting up! http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=172826

if you want to go prey model you need to feed her some whole animals as the fur acts like a clean out to push the bone matter through OR give her dry food every day. Meat is not the whole thing, there is connective tissue, fat, bone etc that is included in a more 'wild type' diet.

dont worry I wont even eat a lot of human grade meat myself laugh.gif I find it either stinks or it hasnt been hung and hence is full of water (thats why the supermarkets usually vacuum seal now as the high water content in the meat will leak out or make it rot faster)

:thumbsup:

if you want to go prey model you need to feed her some whole animals as the fur acts like a clean out to push the bone matter through OR give her dry food every day. Meat is not the whole thing, there is connective tissue, fat, bone etc that is included in a more 'wild type' diet.

dont worry I wont even eat a lot of human grade meat myself laugh.gif I find it either stinks or it hasnt been hung and hence is full of water (thats why the supermarkets usually vacuum seal now as the high water content in the meat will leak out or make it rot faster)

:thumbsup:

she eats horse feed (speedi beet, chaff, pellets etc). I guess that would count lol. I'll look into that booster powder just incase, i cant get her to eat more RC, she just wont.

My GSD weighs 30kg, and i give her around 800g - 1kg of meat every morning;

Meat consists of the following to make up the weight of:

- chicken carcass

- chicken legs/wings

- beef mince (human grade top)

- sometimes small amounts of chopped liver, heart etc but she wont eat it

- i give her food scraps from tea and food from the fridge that i wont eat anymore, when it comes up, so very randomly (steak, chicken, yoghurt, stew, dinners, veges,) All this is very small so i dont think should be included in the analyse.

- plus about 300g Royal canin on top of the meat about two - three days a week which will take her a day or two to fully finish.

- an egg two or three times a week

Would this be balanced?

Without the Royal Canin, no it wouldn't be balanced. Without her eating the liver, there's not enough vit A or copper in the diet. I'd also personally like to see more variety in a raw diet - fish, kidney, yoghurt, veges or green tripe, etc. Chicken bones and beef mince alone probably don't contain everything she needs.

But I think you'll get away with it since you're feeding the Royal Canin as well. :)

Whether it would be a balanced diet also depends what proportion of the diet is chicken rmb, and which proportion is beef mince. Luckily, feeding an adult dog is far more flexible than feeding a puppy. For an adult dog I think it's best to aim for around 30 - 50% of the diet being rmb, around 30 - 40% red meat, 10% organs, the rest being fish/veges/yoghurt etc.

Come join us in Yellowgirl's raw feeding thread if you like!