Metacam

My vet put my 14yr old whippet/heeler on Tramal (human form) for his arthritis. It has been the best thing ever for him. Its a long acting pain killer. We put him on that as the vet seems to think that with his history that he would have less stomach upsets on tramal than metacam, as he will be on it for the rest of his life. The tramal has had no side effects and seems to last longer than the metacam that i give the Jack. And its a cheaper, and if you get the vets to write a script you can get it from the chemist (price difference vets $31 for 20tables, chemist $22 for 40tablets). I did talk to my chemist before I took the script in.

The 14yr old Jack is on daily metacam for her arthritis she has been on it for over 2 yrs now. I just up her dose for a few days if she over does it but only weighing 5kg a bottle last ages.

Have a chat to the vet about alternative options as they are out there, you just have to find a vet that is willing to think of other ideas.

Good luck

Metacam nearly killed a dog of ours many years ago. Non-steriodial anti inflammatories are NOT recommended for dogs that are Ivermectin Sensitive as the mutant gene in these dogs seem to make them have adverse reactions to it.

I would try Human Grade Glucosamine Hyrodchloride( not sulfate as this upsets the tummy).Microgenics make this and you can buy it from the health food shop and you only need about 1 teaspoon full a day for a 20kg dog.

put your dog onto natural anti inflammatories if you can.......seaweed, garlic and rosehip is good as well celery, joint guard, glucosamine & chondroitin, seaflex etc.....

My mastiff x rottis x lab was put onto Metacam at 15 months of age and went in to Chronis Renal Failure at the age of 4years......she was then put onto tramal beacuse sh could no longer take Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatories because they caused her kidney failure.....tramal and numerous other pain drugs did not help her joints at all....she had arthritis in every major joint and hip & elbow displaysia.....

She was PTS 5 months after her CRF was diagnosed (which almost killed her) because there was nothing that I could find that would ease her pain....

Regardless whether you use Metacam or the human equiv. of Mobic they all carry a risk of causing kidney failure.....regular vet checks for kidney function need to be done and long term use is not healthy

Metacam (brand name)= Meloxicam= Mobic (brand name)= Movalis (brand name).

Is prescription-only.

So, you have to find a DR to prescribe it for a human, then give the weight-correct dose to your dog.

Thanks to the PBS, drugs are cheaper for humans than dogs.

To give you some idea of human prices: http://www.pharmacydirect.com.au/product_s...&sv=movalis

The PBS only subsidises the retail price of drugs that are prescribed for humans, it does not apply if that drug is being prescribed for an animal.

put your dog onto natural anti inflammatories if you can.......seaweed, garlic and rosehip is good as well celery, joint guard, glucosamine & chondroitin, seaflex etc.....

Regardless whether you use Metacam or the human equiv. of Mobic they all carry a risk of causing kidney failure.....regular vet checks for kidney function need to be done and long term use is not healthy

I have had my dog on all the natural therapies for over two and a half years, and while I recommend them to everyone else, personally the major difference I have seen in my boy is from when he has been on a daily dose of Metacam - even occasional doses did nothing - but daily doses have him happy and sprightly again.

My vet has advised he be on a daily dose for the rest of his life. I'm happy with that as it's all about quality of life not quantity.

I am with you MissMoo- try the natural remedies first- much safer and made at human grade.

Yes NSAIDs are are no-no for dogs or humans in this house.I have renal failure myself, probably the results of NSAIDs given by the doctors in my teens.

EFS

Edited by InspectorRex

I had a dog on daily Metacam for over 3 years. She never had adverse reactions of any sort and had a very sensitve digestive system due to three dilatation/bloat surgeries and could only eat Euk F&P for the last 5 years of her life.

Towards the very end she also had regular acupuncture which she loved and helped enormously. SHe started on Cartrophen and Sasha's Blend, but eventually that wasn't helping by it's self.