Thunder And Barking

Darcy is not scared of thunder, which I guess is a good thing :thumbsup: but unfortunately he seems to be under the impression that thunder is in fact someone in his territory :D

We've had thunder here for about 20mins, its slowly getting louder, and Darcy is running around the house like a retard, growling and barking and trying to figure out where the noise is coming from. Its driving me crazy, what can I do to calm him down?

Sounds like my GSD, he runs towards thunder/fireworks barking trying to scare it away :thumbsup: and has taught my other dogs to do this too :D at least it seems to be better (but noisier) than if they were all terrifyed of storms. No idea how to shut them up tho :thanks:

The barking and running around indicates the dog is in an aroused state and is probably under some stress because of this. I would be trying to get the dog to do some obedience work or work in drive to distract it (tugging, ball chasing). It might stop the barking giving the dog a job to do. I would think it's better than having a terrified dog though.

What Jigsaw said re the 'work your dog' :rolleyes:. If your dogs are truly not scared, then your leadership should be sufficient to be able to command them to lay/settle down. I'd suggest there is some fear mixed in amongst their behaviour. Training in drive is excellent for this sort of thing.