Exercising An Adolescent Labrador

Hi everyone.

We've got a 10 month old lab who has never been exercised. We throw the ball in the backyard maybe once or twice a week (no more than 5 minutes at a time) and she does a few laps of the backyard herself but there have been maybe half a dozen walks around the block in the last 10 months - mainly for training than anything else. I'm very conscious of doing everything I can to ensure her hips are kept in the best possible condition. We bought from a reputable breeder (Bonnsway). Her food is measured out (on digital kitchen scales) at every meal and she gets very few extras. We don't let her climb the stairs to the pool. There's no jumping. There's no beach time at the moment. I've probably gone into overkill mode on it all but I wanted to be sure.

All of the following questions are asked with her hips and elbows in mind...

What I'm wondering is how much exercise is acceptable at this age and how much is too much?

I've been looking for an excuse to go running (for my own personal benefit) on a regular basis. At what age is she going to be able to handle this? It will mainly be around the neighbourhood on footpaths and the road.

She's been desexed so we can't breed from her but I was thinking of getting her hips and elbows scored to make sure that if there is potential for a problem later on, that we know to avoid certain activities down the track... I also thought that the breeder might be interested in this information - Breeders, would you?

All constructive comments opinions and advice welcomed...

Thanks in advance for your help...

Martin.

Defiantly an overkill.

At 10 months she should be out walking regularly & building up muscle condition.At her age & nice daily walk on ideally softer surfaces for 20/30 mins at a casual pace would be fine

When you do decide to start your going to have to take it slowly because i would gather she isnt in good muscle condition so she will be behind the eight ball.

Weighing her food will make no difference at all ,its all about her body weight.

be aware that throwing the ball & turning quickly is the common cause of liagment/cruciate issues

As for jogging not until 18 months & certainly not before you have worked the dog to a fitness level that can deal with,this would apply even if you exercised earlier.

The reality is hips is either going to be an issue or not but dont become so worried you dont enjoy activities with the dog that it needs.

You could get the hips/elbows done if you wish but that is your choice

If you were going to get the hips done then Pennhip will give you the most information about possible issues down the track. The scoring system is different to the AVA in what it looks at and one of the xray views is also different.

There are a number of Vets in each State that have the Certification but not every Vet can do Pennhip.

I applaud you for keeping an eye on her food. :cool:

Nice lean dog with great muscle tone is what is going to be best for hips and elbows though, now and into old age. :cry:

Thanks all for your comments.

I weighed and measured her this morning. 21.5" to the top of the shoulder blades (not exactly sure where the withers are) and 20.8kg. She'll be 10 months tomorrow. Does this sound about right?

Showdog, the weighing of food is so that we can be consistent in the amount that we are feeding her and thus can be sure that there is no accidental overfeeding. At the moment, she is getting 200gms of Eagle Pack Holistic Large Breed Puppy food twice a day. We have been going off the general guideline that you should be able to feel her ribs but not see them. This is the case.

Well I guess it's time to start the morning walks which will be much easier now that the mornings are not quite so cold and dark. Another 8 months for running huh? Looks like I'll be lonely for a while yet then...

Assess her weight by how she looks rather than what she weighs. There's a lot of differentiation with muscle/fat ratio.

When you look at her from above does she have a waist? (dips in between the end of her ribcage and the beginning of her pelvis)

Can you lay your hand on her side and feel her ribs fairly easily without applying too much pressure?

Whatever exercise you do initiate with her, make sure you build up slowly so she can build up the muscle she requires to support the joints.