Grooming Tail On Spitz-type Breeds

Any tips on this one?

The fur on spitz tails seems finer than the rest of the body and I find regular grooming tools don't work too well. Also the tail tends to pick up lots of small leaves and gets flat matted clumps in it.

Are there any special grooming implements or tips/tricks for keeping spitz breeds tails clean and tidy?

Try misting through the tail with an anti-tangle spray then brush from the tip of the hair at the end of the tail and work back towards the body in layers. This is the correct way to brush any spitz coat and especially so with the tail. You can use a good quality slicker, pin brush or a good bristle and nylon one, whichever you find easiest. A collie comb can also be useful on these coats as well.

I think it depends on the type of spitz - I know for some types it can be difficult to keep them knot free in places. I just have allpies, so I usually use a slicker brusk on their finer coated areas (good pin brus and metal comb in others), but that's because as a breed they have a great 'wash n wear n brush out' coat. My girl's feet and legs were all muddy from her walk the other day (she found puddles!) - 15mins later it had dried and the mud had all fallen out and she was clean as a whistle; mind you, my floor needed sweeping!

Laser Lites make a product called "Drape' brilliant stuff, haven't had any bad knots since I have been using it!

Drape is fine for a BC, Afghan or a pet spitz but it is not what you need on a spitz coat if you are showing. It does exactly what the name says, weighs it down and makes the coat drape.