Is There An Alternative To Progesterone Testing?

Stitch

Has anyone tried an alternative to progesterone testing (other than using a dog)?

Like using the Draminski Ovulation detector or a vaginal swab??

If you have, how reliable are these forms of testing?

I guess with vaginal swabs you would have to monitor it almost daily to see when the cells cornify?

Would like to hear your experiences. :laugh:

Has anyone tried an alternative to progesterone testing (other than using a dog)?

Like using the Draminski Ovulation detector or a vaginal swab??

If you have, how reliable are these forms of testing?

I guess with vaginal swabs you would have to monitor it almost daily to see when the cells cornify?

Would like to hear your experiences. :D

Hi Stitch.

We have used the vaginal swab method with our Bulldogs with good success. It was not very often that we progy tested the bulldogs. In fact I can only remember one Bulldog I progy tested and we were never successful in getting her to fall pregnant.

Of course Mum owned her own microscope and slides etc so that was a good thing.

Interpretation of the cell structures is quite important as is a good teacher.

My mum has just been an absolute guru as far as anything to do with breeding and whelping and dogs in general. One wealth of knowledge.

A friend of a friend! has had good results doing a swab where the paper turns red/pink when they are ready (I think, we were disussing it while mating our dogs at the time, so I wasn't 100% listening to the process)

I wouldn't be recommending the microscope method unless you are competent in using a vaginal speculum and able to take a sample of cells from the cervix.

The paper methods are:

1. test-tape: yellow tape turns green 24 hours prior to ovulation when glucose is released into the vaginal fluid;

2. litmus type: pink stick turns purple due to change in pH associated with glucose in vaginal fluid.

I wouldn't be recommending the microscope method unless you are competent in using a vaginal speculum and able to take a sample of cells from the cervix.

The paper methods are:

1. test-tape: yellow tape turns green 24 hours prior to ovulation when glucose is released into the vaginal fluid;

2. litmus type: pink stick turns purple due to change in pH associated with glucose in vaginal fluid.

Taking a sample of cells is not that hard.

yes, you do need to know what you are doing but it is not rocket science. The science knowledge is needed when you determine what the cells are doing. IE cornifying.

I will ask mum tomorrow when I ring to see what her microscope is.

It is not that hard...... honestly.

My vet showed me how to do the microscope method. She said a cheap 100 X scope would do, but of course, more expensive binocular scopes are easier to use. All you need to see is the general pattern and shape of cells.

I still do prog testing. I didn't find it easy to get the hang of it. But I didn't try very hard.

I would think that all you would need would be some diagrams of the cells at their various stages in order to know what you were looking at under the microscope.

At least it would save me the cost of the early progesterone tests even if I had to do one just prior to mating.

I must say though I was never very good at looking through a microscope when I did science at school - I hope I have improved since then!!! :love:

Mating isn't a problem if you have the dog in your own backyard but it gets very uncertain if you have to send your bitch to a stud dog.

The timing really has to be exactly right so that you don't make the trip needlessly.

I just had a bitch start to come into season and then stop and go completely out of season - I could have saved myself the cost of 3 progesterone tests.

And of course the vet involved didn't help - they are always happy to take the money.

The paper tests I really haven't heard of before. Does that mean they are not that reliable??

It seems so simple to take the paper tests I am surprised I haven't heard of them.

I would think that all you would need would be some diagrams of the cells at their various stages in order to know what you were looking at under the microscope.

At least it would save me the cost of the early progesterone tests even if I had to do one just prior to mating.

I avoid early prog tests by waiting until the girls get really serious about mounting eachother . . . generally end out with a first prog reading > 5. But the method isn't 100%. I have missed the peak once or twice.

The paper tests are fine for most bitches for a natural mating, because in natural mating a lot of sperm are released & can survive up to five days. We used this method for over 30 years. You need to use the tape from the first day of the season and when the edges of the paper start to change colour, test two or three times a day. Once the middle of the paper is colouring, the bitch should ovulate within 24-48 hours. So a mating at that time will still have viable sperm 2 days post ovulation, the optimal time for fertilization. And if you plan 2-3 matings 1-2 days apart, the fertile window will be covered.

For AI, I always want a progesterone test because there are fewer sperm available & their life expectancy is reduced, particularly if frozen or chilled. For a bitch that has hard-to-identify seasons, eg, not much blood loss, split seasons, etc, checking for cornification can be very useful to determine where she is in her season.