Food And Dominance - Sibling Puppies

shells

I have 2 nearly 6 month old miniature poodle pups - I am feeding, walking, training and sleeping them seperately and trying to let them develop their own personalities (which they definately are). Everything is great except for 1 problem.

When I give them something like a pigs ear or bone they both take it to their mats and have a good chew, if my male pup gets up and walks away and trys to go back to his pigs ear his sister ( who is happily chewing on her own) will run over and growl and bark at him which makes him back off and "too scared" to take it back.

When this happens I go and take it off her (she has no problems with me taking, touching her food ect) and give it back to him but he usually doesnt want it back.

I dont have this problem when I am feeding them their "meals" just "treat" foods such as pigs ears, bones ect

How should I handle this situation? Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?

Thanks

Michelle

I have always felt that when feeding sogs long chewing treats like pigs ears , bones or similar it is putting too much pressure on them to be given them whilst they are in the same area. I always separate my dogs for chewing time, so they can relax and not worry about what the other dogs are doing.

My opinion is .. Always set yourself and the dogs up for a "win" rather than trying to fix things when problems occur later. :banghead:

I supervise now and and if she starts to make a move for it I stop her and tell her off - she wont take it if I stop her and am there watching so she is getting the idea that its not on so. I have also started separating them out of each others view (which is helping).

It would be easier if they werent so different when it came to eating - she is super fast and wont stop until the "job" is done and he likes to take his time and have a break and a wander.