Kennel Cough Question

Guest english.ivy

Guest belgian.blue

So Ivy had her booster, was due October but had it done today as it is planned for her to go in a boarding kennel for a week from October 3Oth.

In her puppy ones she wasn't given the C5 as I didn't plan on boarding her. Well today she got the C5 and the vet said that she will probably catch kennel cough when she's in the boarding kennel.

Is this true? She is going in an off peak period, so not so many dogs will be around her. I know it isn't something deadly but ahhh I don't want her to catch anything :laugh:

So Ivy had her booster, was due October but had it done today as it is planned for her to go in a boarding kennel for a week from October 3Oth.

In her puppy ones she wasn't given the C5 as I didn't plan on boarding her. Well today she got the C5 and the vet said that she will probably catch kennel cough when she's in the boarding kennel.

Is this true? She is going in an off peak period, so not so many dogs will be around her. I know it isn't something deadly but ahhh I don't want her to catch anything :laugh:

No not true. Her not having a C5 as a pup has no bearing on the matter. She has now had a kennel cough vaccine which will give her SOME protection against a few of the many strains of kennel cough. The fact is that no vaccine covers all the multiple strains of the virus so even if she had a kennel cough vaccine every 6 months she still would not be 100% covered.

She is unlikely to catch kennel cough in October being a warmer month but it is possible. Just accept that if she does get kennel cough it isn't the kennels fault. The best way to look upon it to get a better understandin is akin it to the human common cold. You get it in social situations and it's not pleasant for a few days but you get over it. However... the dogs cope a lot better than humans:-)

Vaccination is no guarantee against kennel cough, unfortunately.

Is a bit like the flu vaccination for people- is considered much better than nothing, but doesn't cover every strain of flu virus.

One of my dogs has had kennel cough after a stay in kennels despite full vaccination.

Not pleasant, but he was fine.

Guest belgian.blue

Thanks for the reasurring words :laugh:

I chose a boarding kennel that isn't in the actually kennel area of Perth. Guess the wording of the vet scared me a little, they're good at doing that!

I wouldn't stress about it, she'll have some protection against it - but one of mine has picked it up twice (not very severe, but still not nice) now despite being vaccinated; my other isn't vaccinated againt it, yet barely had any symptoms at all (he still got it, but not really noticeable)

It's not the kennel owners fault if they pick it up, no more so than it the bus drivers fault if you pick up the flu on the way to work.

Thanks for the reasurring words :laugh:

I chose a boarding kennel that isn't in the actually kennel area of Perth. Guess the wording of the vet scared me a little, they're good at doing that!

Picking a kennel in the hills doesnt guarantee anything or make it less likely.Some kennels are more well known for getting it more often for different reasons.If kennels allow grp playtimes then dog share water bowls ,this is the quickest transfer just like when people go to the dog parks & share water bowls

Its simply a case of what clients bring in & how honest clients are & yes also the kennel informing you they currently have an affected dog/s

Dogs can carry the virus for over half the year & the right situation become affected that includes your dog.

Its no longer a winter virus & is all year round. We havent had it this year but it,s been around,some of the WA DOLERS have also had dogs affected from meets or small play dates.

vet said that she will probably catch kennel cough when she's in the boarding kennel

If this was the vets wording then there idiots because its called canine cough & it isnt caught just in kennels.

Your dog can catch it anywhere & the kennels get it because an affected dog comes in but because its like school some will & some wont get it.

Vet needs a lesson in facts

... its called canine cough & it isnt caught just in kennels.

Your dog can catch it anywhere & the kennels get it because an affected dog comes in but because its like school some will & some wont get it.

Thank you Showdog. I'm always referring to it as Canine Cough not Kennel Cough and I think it would do well for everyone (including Vets) to do the same. Otherwise it does give the unsuspecting/inexperienced person the impression that their dog is safe from it if they don't go to kennels.

The higher concentration of dogs together the bigger the chance of catching it. But it doesn't exclude the off-chance of picking it up from even only a one-dog meeting (directly or indirectly). Like Showdog said - it's like kids at school.

Edited by Erny

... its called canine cough & it isnt caught just in kennels.

Thank you Showdog. I'm always referring to it as Canine Cough not Kennel Cough and I think it would do well for everyone (including Vets) to do the same. Otherwise it does give the unsuspecting/inexperienced person the impression that their dog is safe from it if they don't go to kennels.

The higher concentration of dogs together the bigger the chance of catching it. But it doesn't exclude the off-chance of picking it up from even only a one-dog meeting (directly or indirectly). Like Showdog said - it's like kids at school.

Most vets are getting better are there cards state canine cough but some still state Kennel cough & yes it does mislead people .

Its only when they suddenly get it & never been in a kennel they realise.

Very frustrating as a kennel owner but people are learning