Importing Trouble...

disorder

I borrowed a lens off my brother today and took around 75 photos with it. I'm dying to see how they all turned out but when I import them over from my camera to the computer it comes up with "the files cannot be imported as they are in an unrecognized format"??!!! Then it lists all the files which look like this:

/Users/myname/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Import/Originals/Roll 1/IMG_6807.JPG

etc

The strange thing is, it has imported one single photo from the lot of photos taken today but not the rest?

I haven't done anything differently or changed anything and just yesterday was transferring pics from my camera to the computer without any troubles.

I hope there is a simple/ logical explanation and I'm not going to lose a days worth of photos, that would suck frown.gif

Any ideas? It's frustrating as hell :laugh:

Hmm. Dis, i haven't used iPhoto in a long while so i won't be of much help. Do all the listed file names end with JPG? Also i'm guessing you haven't changed computer settings nor iPhoto settings since your last import? Do you or your brother have a card reader you can try instead? I don't think you've lost the photos, sounds like the equipment's just not talking to each other, i think.

Edited by Poo d'état

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure what a card reader is but I don't think I have one?

Is there another quicky program I could try and download/use instead of iphoto?

tlc- I'm trying to import straight from my camera I have a stupid mac so no longer have a "my computer" I'm not sure if I can take them off manually the same way I could a pc. Def not shooting in RAW and I haven't changed any settings since my last import and I find it really strange that it's let one (now two) photos slip through ok but still saying the rest are unrecognized?

A card reader is a little thingo that you plug your memory card into instead of plugging your camera to your computer, not entirely necessary but does come in handy.

Technically speaking you shouldn't need any program to import photos, you should be able to drag your picture files from your camera (i'm not sure if there's an icon on your desktop for the camera when it's plugged in?) directly across to wherever you want to save them on your computer.

Do the file names read JPG at the end or something else (not the two that have slipped through)?

Arghhhh! :laugh: It transferred all of them over but once again all of the files are "unrecognizable" and wont open! (so it's not just iphoto, it's preview as well) This time it let three of the photos slip through?! Why only three of them and not all?! It took the same amount of time to import them as if it were importing the files normally...

So annoying!! :laugh:

Edited by disorder

So now you actually have them on the computer?? Is it like a pc where you can right click and open the file in a different program? D oyou have picasa, sometimes picasa will open unrecognisable files?? How frustrating!!

I tried to open the files with every single program on my computer and nope, nothing. The thumb nails are not showing the actual photo, just the generic little img symbol which makes me think they are not even there to be opened..

I don't know what else to do really. :sigh:

I just got home from work, turned on computer and tried as per normal but no such luck.

Hey Ruth (I haven't sent a zip folder before) But I just tried to send them to you via what I am 90% sure was a zip folder and it said that it exceeds 10mb and was taking forever, so I have just attached a couple on their own to see if they will open for you that way?

Kirislin- thanks for that idea, I will probably have to give that a try if it's not going to allow me to import my photos, ever...

The only thing Ive changed was the fact I used a different lens on my camera?

I don't see how that would make a diff tho? And the fact it has let a few of them slip through gives me hope that they are not "unrecognizable" at all...