Introducing Puppy To Older Dog

JudyG

Hi

I am new to these forums and have already got some fantastic advice.We are hoping to get a new westie puppy in a couple of weeks. We already have an 11 yr old westie, Rosie. I would be grateful for any advice on how to introduce them to each other and also re ongoing puppy training with another dog around. I was planning to crate train and use a pen for times when I may have to go out but unsure how Rosie will react to the puppy in the crate/pen.

Grateful for any tips/advice.

Thanks

Hi

I am new to these forums and have already got some fantastic advice.We are hoping to get a new westie puppy in a couple of weeks. We already have an 11 yr old westie, Rosie. I would be grateful for any advice on how to introduce them to each other and also re ongoing puppy training with another dog around. I was planning to crate train and use a pen for times when I may have to go out but unsure how Rosie will react to the puppy in the crate/pen.

Grateful for any tips/advice.

Thanks

Hello, I don't have any advice as I only have one dog, a 2 year old Westie, called Mia, I may get another one soon, so would be interested in any advice also.

Have you visited the sub forum Westie page, come and say hello.

I have a similar thread going that might help

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=176422&hl=

Lots of good advice in the link.

I have only ever introduced 2 puppies to our household & both went much the same way.

April was 7.5 y/o when my son brought Sooty home, I didn't know anything about it. April wasn't very good with many other dogs & she pretended the pup wasn't there the 1st few days. Then she started playing with it but had to be watched when she got too rough.

When Sooty was 7.5 y/o we got Tilba. Didn't get a chance to intro on neutral ground although I knew you should from b4 Sooty came to live with us. Again I supervised the 2 as much as I could & crated Tilba inside when I had to go out for short periods. I didn't leave them in the backyard together until Tilba was bigger & they were more used to each other & could be trusted.

Both dogs got/get on fine & love to play with each other. Sometimes Sooty gets snappy with Tilba, mostly concerning food, but Tilba knows to give her a wide berth.

With an older dog, I would be more careful that the pup got too much for your 1st dog & take appropriate precautions. As to training the pup, do it when the other dog's not around so the puppy can concentrate on you without distractions.

Depends how much your current dog has interacted with dogs.

You would now form many years of ownership how she reacts.

If she has had little exposure to ther dogs & never had to share her house & humans then it could be a massive change in her life which will either be for better or worde.

Be patient & take baby steps & make sure older dog has its safe area as much as pup has its time out space.

In our house we have no issues because the dogs are always around other dogs but when our oldies start to get old they have there special area because they just cant deal with young pups all the time & get overwhelmed