Pet Insurance Claim Question

Sticks1977

I have recently had Fraser at the Animal Emergency Centre to receive treatment due to him vomiting frequently on Sunday. Since then, Fraser had to be put to sleep due to further complications and the cause of the vomiting being put down to him swallowing a foreign object - a knotted piece of rope.

Fraser had health insurance (through Pet Insurance Australia) and I had taken out the policy on 31 July 2009 so he was covered for all costs after the 30 day waiting period.

The only concern I have is in regards to pre-existing conditions. Fraser's history from our regular vet showed a bout of gastro interitis way back in December 2007 due to him vomiting and unable to keep food down, he also had gasto interitis during his stay at the AEC due to the swallowing of the foreign object.

The diagnosis that Fraser had from his recent hospital visit was pancreatitis and then a severe case of gasto interitis caused from the blockage of the foreign object. Would I still be covered under my insurance policy for the treatment Fraser received at the AEC?

I have checked the PDS from the health insurance company and it mentions that he is covered for the swallowing of a foreign object requiring surgical or endoscopic removal.

If anyone has had similar experiences I'd love to hear from you - I will be in contact over the coming days with the result of the claim as I have sent all the appropriate documentation to PIA on Friday.

Regards,

Shaun (sticks1977)

Edited by Sticks1977

when u get the insurance for your dog, its the insurance company as well as your responsibility to find out and declared any pre-existing complications. If you have declared that, you most probably get higher premiums...and that is for the condition that the insured are more likely to get into a pre-condition.

If you have done that, then it wouldn't matter, not to mention that the pre-condition is not the cause or contributed to the death of the insured.

I would ring the company and ask.

I have pet insurance with a different company and had a claim that I thought they may not cover but rang and asked and I was peasantly suprised when they said it would be covered.

Edited by Janba

I would ring the company and ask.

I have pet insurance with a different company and had a claim that I thought they may not cover but rang and asked and I was peasantly suprised when they said it would be covered.

I had the opposite. I called and explained and they said it would be covered - sent the forms in and got a letter telling me it was not covered :walkdog:

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked my bank statement and PIA have paid out the claim minus the excess ($500) that I had to pay.

I am thankful that even though I have had the policy for less than 2 months that they were willing to pay for all costs incurred during Fraser's hospital stay at Animal Emergency Centre.

For those that do not have pet insurance, I strongly suggest that you think about purchasing it for your loved one as you never know when you may need it...

On a brighter note, we picked up Frasers ashes from the crematorium on AFL Grand Final Day - it's good to have him home!

Regards, Shaun (sticks1977)