A Little Lost...

TYLER23

I've read a number of threads covering vaccinations, but quite frankly, i'm none the wiser, and after a few phone calls to different local vets (who are giving me different opinions), i'm even more lost.

Our SBT received his first shots at 6 weeks (C3 + C2i), and i'm trying to work out when the remaining shots should be given. The breeder's vet recommends C7 at 10 weeks, and another C3 +C2i at 13 weeks. One local vet is telling me two more shots at 10 and 14 weeks, and the other is saying only one more at 10 weeks. Any help would be much appreciated.

The other question i have is regarding worming and flea/tick. The breeder has already started the little fella on Sentinel Spectrum which i'm told also has flea control in it, but since we have bandicoots and possums in the yard, i've been told to get him onto Advantix asap. He is currently 9 weeks old, is it ok, to give both Sentinel and Advantix? The other issue is, one vet told me that if you have cats (which we will in a couple of weeks), there is a ingredient in Advantix which is toxic to cats if a dog comes into contact with them. Is this true?

Cheers in advance!

I've read a number of threads covering vaccinations, but quite frankly, i'm none the wiser, and after a few phone calls to different local vets (who are giving me different opinions), i'm even more lost.

Our SBT received his first shots at 6 weeks (C3 + C2i), and i'm trying to work out when the remaining shots should be given. The breeder's vet recommends C7 at 10 weeks, and another C3 +C2i at 13 weeks. One local vet is telling me two more shots at 10 and 14 weeks, and the other is saying only one more at 10 weeks. Any help would be much appreciated.

Vaccinations - my advice would be to follow your own vet's recommendations for the puppy vaccinations, since the recommended number and age of doses can differ depending on which particular vaccine you're using. Each vet could well be giving you the best advice for the brand and type of vaccine they use in their own clinic. IMO it's best not to mix and match these things, so if I were you, I'd pick one vet and stick with them (until puppy vaccinations are complete, anyway).

I personally prefer to use only a C3 or C4, not the C7, but which vaccines are appropriate will differ depending on where you live.

:)

Edited by Staranais

As Staranais said follow the advice of your vet. Each vet clinic has a different way of doing things in terms of vaccinations. Some use a three vaccination schedule whilst others use a two. Personally I would opt for the three as it is more then likely that because your pup was vaccinated at 6 weeks it had no effect.

My pups are given ...

C3 at 8-10 weeks

C3 at 10-14 weeks

C4 at 15 months

And never vaccinated again! I would never give a C7 especially to a breed that is predisposed to skin disorders etc......That is 7 diseases that are being injected into your dog at one time

The other question i have is regarding worming and flea/tick. The breeder has already started the little fella on Sentinel Spectrum which i'm told also has flea control in it, but since we have bandicoots and possums in the yard, i've been told to get him onto Advantix asap. He is currently 9 weeks old, is it ok, to give both Sentinel and Advantix? The other issue is, one vet told me that if you have cats (which we will in a couple of weeks), there is a ingredient in Advantix which is toxic to cats if a dog comes into contact with them. Is this true?

Cheers in advance!

Personally I'd be very reluctant to give a C7 even to an adult dog. Be guided by your local vet, but the leptospirosis component in C7 apparently has a higher rate of adverse reactions than the basic C3/C5.

Yes, Advantix is hazardous to cats, so best avoided ig there are cats in the household.

Check with your vet about appropriate tick preventatives for a pup in a household with a cat.

(Just for info - at least in an adult dog, it's safe to combine Sentinel Spectrum with Advantix - I do it when we travel on the mainland up the east coast - but then my cat is at home in Tasmania then.

Edited by Tassie