Hair Loss, Brindle Boxer Any Ideas?

spiderpig

My female 2.5 year old brindle boxer has developed a hair loss condition recently and has been progressively getting worse. I first noticed a month or 2 ago that the hair on the top of her back towards her middle to tail area was thinning but not patchy. But left her at a friends palce over the weekend while we went away and returned to find it had got alot worse quickly and has developed into alot of patches of total hair loss now.

She seems ok physicaly, a bit tired it seems after a weekend of playing with my friends dog, but is eating well and all else seems normal to me. We are just comming out of winter here in canberra, not sure if that is related, it had warmed up a little last week but got quite cold again on the weekend. I would expect a little hair loss with season changes but not like this. I havent experienced this with other boxers i have owned although i have never owned a brindle before.

Anyone experienced something similar?

I have been told that fleas are not a problem in the ACT? It could be FBD though. They only need 1 flea to jump on them, bite them, and then jump back off to develop the reaction.

It could also be that she is developing an allergy to something or it could be mites. The area affected though doesn't suggest mites.

To be completely sure, I'd take her to the Vet to have a scrape and to have it looked at.

AFAIK fleas are uncommon but not unheard of in ACT. We haven't seen any in the time we've been here on ours or anyone else's dogs.

Is she itchy? There are a LOT of allergens around here at the moment though with the recent rain, grass seeds are nuts, weeds are crazy, pollens blowing around.

Time for a vet visit Spiderpig.

It could be an allergy. It could also be a thyroid issue. Some tests would be a good idea.

Thanks for the replys.

She doesnt have fleas, the area isnt itchy as i havent seen her scratch it. Ocasionally she snakes upside down on the rug but that is something all my boxers have done.

Just been looking at the area again and the fur areas on her back and sides that is thinning, the skin underneath seams quite scaley and their seems to be a bit of dandruff/dry skin flaking through her fur.

OK, first misconception. A dog doesn't always itch if they have fleas. And likewise, they don't have to have VISIBLE fleas to have a flea allergy.

It definitely sounds like skin scrapings are in order for diagnosis. Mites, lice and fleas are the obvious culprits.

It could also be dietary. And if she is an indoor dog, it could be a contact allergy to something inside your house. Some dogs have issues with carpets for example.

I'd be considering a basic elimination diet to make sure it isn't dietary along with a trip to the vet for scrapings as first ports of call.

My female 2.5 year old brindle boxer has developed a hair loss condition recently and has been progressively getting worse. I first noticed a month or 2 ago that the hair on the top of her back towards her middle to tail area was thinning but not patchy. But left her at a friends palce over the weekend while we went away and returned to find it had got alot worse quickly and has developed into alot of patches of total hair loss now.

She seems ok physicaly, a bit tired it seems after a weekend of playing with my friends dog, but is eating well and all else seems normal to me. We are just comming out of winter here in canberra, not sure if that is related, it had warmed up a little last week but got quite cold again on the weekend. I would expect a little hair loss with season changes but not like this. I havent experienced this with other boxers i have owned although i have never owned a brindle before.

Anyone experienced something similar?

I would take her to the vet asap for a skin scrape. It could be Demodectic Mange .... not that likely due to her age but it is still a possibilty. Boxers are more prone to having sensitive skin so it could be an allergy to certain foods or something in the environment but i would get a skin scrape 1st and go from there. Good luck !