Directed Jumping

kathq

I tried this tonight in the yard with my baby and 1 bar jumps. Hmmm our issue wasn't the fact she needed huge direction signals it was the fact she wouldn't wait for the direction in the first place. If she waited then she got the jump correct :rainbowbridge: . Bloody agility dogs and their value for jumping.

I think I would be increasing her distance from the bars before increase the distance the bars are apart.

Just a quick update on the jumping. You were right Ptolomy have been increasing the distance and am out to maybe 4 metres either side but have only got about half a metre between them. Still have a greatly exagerated signal but that was to be expected. She is getting it right 9 out of 10 times now so she is getting there. I do not have the jumps at full height yet either.

Slow but steady I think.

Ness commiserations on the one article :shrug:

Kathq - just a word of warning - don't stay at the same stage for too long - you want to keep moving forward even if it is at baby step rate.

So plan to practice it every day if possible and have a goal to be able to move out one step every day - or to move the jumps 60cm apart each day.

I start by standing about half way between the jump and starting peg.

When you call from the box run towards the jump with your arm still out in that direction.

When the dog is taking the jump, run backwards to starting peg.

You can then slowly stay closer to the starting peg.

It's hard to explain so hope this makes sense.

PS I got my first ever UD pass on Sunday night at NSW State Titles.

I'm still smiling!!