Dog Training And The Raw Diet!

From what I heard him say, I gathered his ideas came from that old chestnut - raw meat makes dogs savage, it's the blood you know!

I absolutely despair when I hear things like that!

Edited for spelling - oops!

Edited by STITCH

:thumbsup::laugh::rofl::(:) This is too funny. So what if we give our dogs raw meaty bones they are going to turn into a savage wolf too? :rofl::rofl:

I had a completely hyperactive SWF dog who chewed absolutely everything. I was at my wits end because I had tried everything. I would walk him for 3 hours a day (which just turned him into a super athlete), play games all the time, do lots of training to wear out his brain, give him interactive toys etc. It wasn't like he was a badly behaved dog really, he loved training and was very good at it. But the destruction and the fact he would NEVER sleep unless I did and would follow me around 24/7. I thought he had seperation anxiety, was bored and under exercised. He was being fed a commercial diet recommended by the vet.

Then a trainer friend of mine recommended that I read Give your dog a bone by Ian Billinghurst. Sure enough I made the switch to raw and within 4 days he completely calmed down and has never chewed another thing (other than socks but not furniture). Perhaps the bones provided him with an outlet for his chewing (although he only gets bones a couple times a week) or maybe he was finally being fed a nutritious diet that had more vitamins and minerals in it than cardboard.

All in all the behavioural change in my dog was a 100% positive one, so in my experience I think this trainer you know has NO IDEA!!!!!

Your trainer doesn't happen to sell commercial food do they?

I found no real difference in behaviour when I switched my two to BARF. They do have a bit more energy (as scary as that is!), but no change in how easy or otherwise they are to live with or train.

The reason I ask this is because I personally have been told by a local dog training franchise owner that dog owners shouldn't feed raw food to a difficult puppy/dog because it will make them more active and more difficult to train. It's the raw meat you see!!! Makes them savage!!

Like others, I would have to wonder if they sell kibble for a living.

OTOH, I have heard a similar argument about exercise, ie, that one should not exercise a challenging dog hard, because a fit dog is harder to manage. I dunno, I think you're better off rehoming your dog and buying yourself a cat if you're tempted to go down that path. Why anyone would keep their dog unfit is well beyond me.

Actually no, he doesn't seem to sell the commercial dog food, which I think makes it even scarier - he must really believe what he is telling people and it is probably that conviction that makes his ideas more believeable to the uninformed unsuspecting dog owners. :confused:

I really don't want to say but it is fairly widely advertised here.

Oh gosh ..... that paints all of us as suspect :mad.

T'wasn't me (Pro-K9).

It wouldn't be Kelpie-i.

Nor would it be Cosmolo.

Nor K9 Force.

I really don't want to say but it is fairly widely advertised here.

Oh gosh ..... that paints all of us as suspect :mad.

T'wasn't me (Pro-K9).

It wouldn't be Kelpie-i.

Nor would it be Cosmolo.

Nor K9 Force.

She did say it was a franchise, Erny. :)