Dog Swallowed Pebble, What Should We Do?

msn

Hi all,

Our 6month old Lhasa Apso swallowed a pebble. We found it in his poop after he ate dinner (plain roast chicken). The pebble was round and smooth. His poop was very gooey/mucusy. But he pooped all right twice before that and now he's behaving active and normal around the house.

Is he ok? Do wee need to take him to the vet immediately?

Thanks

Edited by msn

My 2 quite often play with pebbles & nuts off the palm trees and I have found those and all sorts of other things in their pooh :p

So long as your pup in going to the toilet normally, eating normally and acting normally I wouldn't worry too much :swear:

Puppies = poo searches :swear:

Small, round and smooth usually cause not much problem.provided all appears normal, don't panic he probably eats lots of stuff you don't notice! :p Make sure he has little filled kongs/treatballs, and interesting bones to amuse him ...maybe make him a sandpit, and bury treats/toys in...take his attention away from pebbles !

Thanks all!

His poo seemed fine this morning and he's behaving normal too. So I'm guessing there's no need to worry. I'll watch him closely though just to be sure :p

Cheers

The mucus is just an indication that the gut has been irritated. If the puppy is bright, active, eating, drinking, urinating and pooping then a close eye on them is all that is required.

I would be more concerned if you saw a pebble go in, and it didn't come out :thumbsup:

My pup is obessed with rocks at the moment. She has recently been let out into the backyard for some toilet training/exploration time and just seems to lick the floor and nibble on rocks. I hope theres nothing to worry about either, she seems fine so I guess not?

• 2 weeks later...

My mother's Rotti used to love eating expensive smooth white pebbles. So much so that sometimes they could be heard rattling around in his little tummy! He was discouraged in this behaviour, but he was a dedicated pebble eater for a few months. Didn't seem to do him any harm.