Broken Toe?

My parter called me to tell me that Kaylah was limping after jumping out of the back of the car (not moving) after doing groceries. One hour later I get home. She wont bare any weight on it, if walking only very minimal pressure. She is licking the foot over the toe area constantly and it is sore to press the middle toe. Could she have broken it?

I will be taking her to the vets in the morning. Just wondering if people might think it is. Ute tray height is about 1.3m

She has possibly broken the toe. I have had a couple of dogs break toes while coursing.

I normally get it confirmed by x-ray, then put them on anti-inflams (eg. Rimadyl) for about 7-10 days, try to strap the foot (put a lump of cotton wool between each toe and also under the foot and wrap the whole lot with Vet-Wrap), and rest for a long as possible (which in my case was about four days :thumbsup: )

The toe may set crookedly, but they can still course, no probs.

If it is very badly broken, the vet may recommend amputation. I take my dogs to a greyhound vet for sporting injuries, and he just says wrap 'em and leave 'em.

THanks elfin, How much do x rays normally cost? Is it neccassary to x ray? I'm pretty sure the pain is localised in the foot, I can manipulate the elbow and shoulder area fine. And there is swelling above one of the middle toes.

I get x-rays cheap :( , but they would probably cost around $150-200 depending on if she needs sedating. Normally they don't need sedation, as they can just be sitting up with their foot on the x-ray plate.... Phone around and get some quotes.

Or just wrap it (checking everyday it is not too tight and changing it every 2-3 days) and give her some anti-inflams. If she is still not weight-bearing, of the swelling has not resolved after a few days, I would get an x-ray.

All the best

:rofl:

thanks, i want to the vet, fortunately the vet reckons its only sprained as she was putting a bit of weight on it today. Some of the vets I rang said that if its broken it would need a cast :rofl:

I have only ever seen a broken toe in a cast once... a friend ran over their dogs foot and the vet put it in a cast. The cast was too tight. When the smell of rotting flesh became apparent, they took him back to the vet but it was too late. He had the entire lower leg amputated. :( I don't think this is the norm, but I wouldn't cast a broken toe.

I would wrap it anyway, it won't do any harm. Did the vet give you any anti-infams?

Yeah i was reading a few horror stories regarding them online. No painrelief, we both agreed it would just make her run around more, i've crated her because she just doesnt stop (runs down to the front fence, then up the back to check on horses then over again)

One of my dogs was working, although weightbearing more on the outside of his foot and would randomly yelp. I ended up getting an x-ray (about $50, no sedation etc) and it was fractured. I just kept him quiet for a fortnight - not crated but no zoomies or strenous exercise and it healed nicely.

Still dont know how he did it.

No cast or covering as weighbearing is the best thing for a brake/fracture and there is not much they can do. to. Just try to keep Kaylah from licking it so that she does not irritate the area.