Vetrazin Use On Dogs

It's blow fly season out here again and Bruno already has some fly bites to the tips of his ears. I am pretty much fed up with vets telling me to spray his head with Aerogard or similar to keep the flies off. Those types of products just aren't cutting it.

So, had a brain wave. We jet our sheep with a product called Vetrazin, which is a straight solutionof Cyromazine (500g/L).

Has anyone here had any experiences using this on dogs? I did ask one vet who said she can't recommend off label use, but does know of instances where it has been successfully used, if diluted appropriately. Vetrazin forms a barrier on the animals skin which flies hate, and works for 12 weeks.

Basically looking for any vet opinions, or from anyone who has actually used this product.

Thanks

The use you are suggesting is not just off label, it's not allowed. Ectoparasiticides are group of veterinary chemical with a restraint applied, which means that the label instructions for their use are not to be altered, vet or no vet. This theoretically includes practices such as splitting ampoules of topical flea product....

If you read the label carefully you will find this information:

NOT TO BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE, OR IN ANY MANNER, CONTRARY TO THIS LABEL UNLESS AUTHORISED UNDER APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION.

Appropriate legislation indicates that the intended use be covered by an off-label use permit through the APVMA.

This is different to the general recommendations for the off-label use of other medications where vet may choose to use a veterinary medicine off label if the use is well accepted within the veterinary community, reported in a scientific publication, has a reasonable measure of safety and for which no suitable, registered alternative is available in that species (such as using ivermectin and doramectin for the treatment of mange).

My suggestion would be to use a product that is registered for dogs - Advantix or Permoxin spray would be my choices if you want flea prevention too, otherwise one of the antiseptic /pyrethrin creams like Buzz-Off or Fly Repella.

Edited by Rappie

No idea about Vetrazin but when I worked for a pet supply warehouse the most popular fly repellant for use on the dog's ears was citronella mixed with vaseline. I have never had a breed prone to fly strike but know many people with these breeds who swear that this is the only concoction to work.

Edited by dancinbcs

Bruno- cheap & quick and effective? Spray or wipe over him(or just his ears/head) with a permoxin solution every few days .It's not blowies which nibble the ears..it's the little bush/stable flies ..and the permoxin works a treat!!

It's all I use here for fleas and flies these days...works on stickfast fleas too! :laugh:

Our dogs are happy to have it done, as the stuff has no nasty smell - it also seems to have a wetting agent, and is taken up well by the fur.

edit to add... AFAIK vetrazin is an insect growth regulator... it may not be what is needed for the dog anyway....

Edited by persephone

My advice - Don't do it!

It is far to easy to overdose animals that are not registered for the product. Some people get away with it, but other dogs die senseless deaths. It is not worth it.

I have never used Advantix as our problems are not very bad and the dogs are in with us a lot anyway. I have used a smelly spray that you can use on horses and dogs for March flies when walking and although the dogs hated it being put on it kept the flies away - Just cannot think of the name???????

Edited by rommimum