Algae Warning To All Dog Owners

kitty2512

Hi I am new to this site but I think this needs to be told.

My 6mth old rottweiler pup was taken to the vets last night with muscle spasms and a severe temperature

He neally died on us on the table, if we hadnt taken him when we did, he would be dead now

His temperature was 42 degree and his muscle spasms were out of control

The vet said it wasnt a snake bite, he had been baited

They pumped his stomach to find nothing in there to be making him sick

That day we had taken him to a lake the water was fine my 6yr old boy was swimming in it (very popular swimming lake)

He was only in the water for 5 minutes when he brought a lump of algae out

He did not eat it. It was only a small amount

We threw it away not thinking anything of it

An hour later he was shaking violently

They are currently doing tests on him

The vet is positive it is related to the algae

Just want to let everybody know about this

The symptons are uncontrollable shaking, muscle spasms, eye twitching, and severe temperature

If you start to see your dog just shaking I suggest you seek medical attention asap

I am still waiting to see if hes going to be okay, he has slight brain damage( very mild wont affect him) and still getting shakes but not as bad, only lasting a minute, hopefully all the toxins are releasing from his body

We just want our boy to come home to see him like that was devastating

So please be careful when taking your dogs out and watch for any signs of this

If anybody has had there dogs go through this or have had any of these symptoms can you please get back to me, we just want our boy to come home

Thankyou Kitty

Edited by kitty2512

I've not heard of or experienced algae causing toxicity, unless it is blue/green algae. But I have heard of and know owners with dogs that have had dogs with immune mediated disorders brought on by swimming in dams. Totally different illness and treatment.

Dogs have died in Canberra from bluegreen algae exposure, usually makes the newspaper when it happens as a warning to others. Not sure if any dogs were affected this year but the main lake was closed to swimming and boating for a while because of the risk to human health.

Rottie... young... very high temperature and very ill.

It might be algae but I'd certainly insist on a parvovirus test too. Before determining the cause is uncommon, elimination of more common diseases seems warranted.

Is he fully vaccinated?

Edited by poodlefan

I lost a horse a few years back to "Protein losing enteropathy" that was caused by drinking nasty dam water during late summer after the remnants of the dam had algae present. She had fresh water available but went to the dam out of habit I guess. We fenced the dam off so it wouldn't happen again. She was an older horse (26 yrs) and they are quite suceptable to that type of thing but so are foals). That condition doesn't present like your dogs symptoms but that is my experience with algae and nasty bugs in the water. :laugh: