4 Mths Old & Still Having Accidents

princesszelda

We've never had toilet training probs.

and have always used the same process as it seems to work (for us)

have the pup in the room with you, not roaming the house, a pup will 'look' for somewhere to 'go', so watch and take her out, even if it is a false alarm it doens't matter. We use 'do weeeeeeees' in a squeaky voice until the pup goes, this could take a few minutes or longer, don't give up until they go. Make sure the pup goes, even if you are outside for half an hour screeching like a mad woman, WEEEEESSSS.

When the pup goes say YES!!! good girl or whatever you say to her when she goes. Say it every time, even when she just goes outside and does it herself, say weeeees, good girl etc. so she understands. Even now when mine go I say 'good wees', good girl' etc.

our dogs have to go on command as I let them go before I go to work and I don't have time to wait, they have to go when I want them to (they stay indoors) and I have to know they've been so I watch, even though they are adults. we also travel a lot, so they need to go when we stop etc. It is really handy having them go on command and worth training for. We spend hours and hours training for other behaviours, but seem to think dogs should know how to toilet etc. This needs teaching too.

I love bernese :rofl: gorgeous!!xxxx

Make sure the pup goes, even if you are outside for half an hour screeching like a mad woman, WEEEEESSSS.

I wish we were neighbours Monah. Two mad women outside for 30 mins screeching 'weeeeeeee' would be so much less embarassing :rofl: .

Agree very much with training a word to be associated with going to the loo. All mine will go on command now, and it makes things so much easier to be able to tell a pup to wee just before you leave him for a period of time. For this reason i wouldnt use a clicker - I want them to associate wees with the word 'wees', so I use this instead (and then verbally praise and give treats when the deed is done).

'Wees' time at my house is VERY EXCITING apparently. They so loved getting the treats when they were pups that they still all jump up with huge excitement and run outside when I say the word (which i my house is "wizza")

Make sure the pup goes, even if you are outside for half an hour screeching like a mad woman, WEEEEESSSS.

I wish we were neighbours Monah. Two mad women outside for 30 mins screeching 'weeeeeeee' would be so much less embarassing :confused: .

Agree very much with training a word to be associated with going to the loo. All mine will go on command now, and it makes things so much easier to be able to tell a pup to wee just before you leave him for a period of time. For this reason i wouldnt use a clicker - I want them to associate wees with the word 'wees', so I use this instead (and then verbally praise and give treats when the deed is done).

'Wees' time at my house is VERY EXCITING apparently. They so loved getting the treats when they were pups that they still all jump up with huge excitement and run outside when I say the word (which i my house is "wizza")

:rofl: :D I agree.

I actually had a neighbour ask me years ago (when training my lakelands), which one is Do-wee?? (seriously!!) :mad:eek:

I'm really glad to read that ours isn't the only 4 month old pup still having trouble with going inside the house!! :D

Our problem is slightly different in that we adopted Willow 3 weeks ago, up till then she'd been home alone outside for most of the day so hadn't really been intensively housetrained... so making the transition to being home with us home all day and allowed in the house more is her problem. She is getting better, but still does wees inside every few days.... just doesn't seem to know to tell us she needs to go outside.... We did start by crate training her, and she picked up that going outside in the 'spot' was good and will do that if we take her aat the right time, but also still does it inside rather than asking to go out. She also poos whereever she likes.... which is not where I'd like ;)

So, you're not alone, even if I have no advice for you lol!

:walkdog:

Beenie, my Grumpy (also a wheaten but he'll be 14 in January) does his poo around the fenceline, which is very polite of him. Particular, is the grumpy man. Mini (my kerry blue girl) poos everywhere. I can't take credit for Grumpy's good manners as his breeder trained him so. He does tell me when he wants to go out. A method that worked for my previous wheaten was as soon as he woke up from a sleep to excitedly take him outside. Yippee! You're up, let's go outside! Big treat afterwards. He soon learned that going outside was treatworthy. They're clever these wheaties, they cotton on very quickly as to what gets them a treat.

Well its been just over a week since i posted this question, and I'm happy to say that Bella has been doing great! (That is, we have been doing our job!) She has only had 1 accident inside all week! :thumbsup: Of course, that nots counting all her little sprinkles when she gets excited to see us!

Thanks, everyone, for your input & encouragement!

Way to go Bella!

Don't make the mistake of letting your guard down too early now - you can't overdo the taking them outside thing. Give her every chance to succeed and I'm sure she will get it in no time.