Foo Trial

I feel Brydee is ready to trial, so will enter FOO trial.(as long as she stays off heat)

Anyone else going? We have had a huge break from trialling, looking forward to being back, all be it at the end of the season.

Edited by dogdude

We have a group here connected to our canine association called Friends Of Obedience.

They do trial run throughs for dogs that are pretty much ready to go, one evening a week for a couple of months over spring/summer. I believe you give a donation and ?aspiring judges? put you through.

It's for practice, finishing with a real trial.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Hi Kathg

I believe your sweepstakes are for entry level obedience? FOO is runthroughs for all levels. Set up to give the dogs real trialling conditions for proofing.

You can pretty much train your dog while doing a mock trial at FOO, including rewarding in the ring etc. There are just as many UD dogs there as there are CCD level dogs.

Our sweepstakes are run for a couple of reasons. The first is so that the trainee judges gain experience and yes they are watched and advised at each trial by a senior judge. This is across all levels right through UD. CCD are always for real however not just a sweepstakes/practice run out. The other reason is a Novice level dog must score 150 in a sweepstakes before they are allowed to enter a full trial.

People in the higher levels do use them as I guess what you guys call a mock trial. Personally I will enter a dog to see what I still have to polish further under the pressure of a trial situation before I enter a trial a couple of months further down the track.

Unfortunately it is trial conditions so no rewarding other than verbal or physical praise - which thankfully works for my lot anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we havn't trained around other dogs or great distractions for six months, but she is a bit of a dog snob, so I think she should be ok.

If anything, I am a bit worried she may take off on the judges signal in the recall, as I train alone.