Collies Ear Won't Stand Up!

lukebee

Hi there, I have a 6 month old BC named Ollie. His left ear is always flopped over, whereas his right ear stands up as normal. When we first got him, both his ears were flopped over, then one straightened for about 3 weeks. Then they both flopped over again for another few weeks, but now his right ear stands up but his left flops over. He has been at this 'combination' for about two months.

The vet had a look in his ears last check up and apparently they where clean. I have seen him paw at his flopped ear maybe once or twice in the whole time we've had him. His hearing seems to be fine to me.

Is this normal or could there be a problem? I don't mind if his ear stays flopped over, I think it's cute, I just don't want to find out that It could be some kind of ear problem that I could have prevented earlier maybe.

Hi Lukebee

If the vet wasn't worried, I wouldn't be.

I've seen Border Collies with any combination of ears pointy and ears floppy, and in between. It may take 18 months for the ears to decide where they're going to be and the dog may have some control too. And I've seen plenty of dogs including BCs with one ear mostly up and one ear mostly curled over (semi erect/floppy).

I have heard of strange "corrective" measures that I wouldn't recommend, like cropping ears - no longer done/legal? in Australia and some people who show dogs using a method I do not know to stick their dogs ears up to conform with their breed standard.

Border collie breed standard says "semi erect" for ears, ie the tops curl over...

http://www.bccnsw.com/standard.html

That's what my cattle dog x ears do, except breed standard for cattle dog is pointy ears. I suspect she's got a bit of BC in her.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

nothing at all to worry about! You can massage the base of the ear to try and bring it up (probably a bit late for this) if you want or see if you can find out how to tape his ear up (also possibly a bit late). My girl has slightly uneven ears - one is semi-erect facing forward and the other swings out to the side and sits a bit lower. Border collies often end up with all manner of ear sets and just because one ear doesn't come up fully doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the ear!

ETA if you got him from a breeder they might be able to help you with taping the ear up if that's what you wanted to do.

Edited by Seita