Baby Gates Wide Enough For Cat To Get Out/in?

Snowball

Hi

Yep, it is my night of questions :cheer: . OK, we have bought babygates to have our new puppy in one part of the house and keep bedrooms / carpet areas puppy free. Now, the only problem is that the cat cant fit through them, and it sort of is a pain for him to have to hurdle over the gates to get from part a of the house to part b,

Anyone experienced this, what gates did you use to let the cat through, but dog out. :laugh:

?????

thanks again

Snowball

Guest RosieFT

When my parents' bichons come to stay, i gate off half the house to let the cat have her space from strange dogs and use a $25 wooden pressure fix baby gate with slats that have around a 9cm gap. Cat can fit through (and she is quite a big cat - can see her in my signature :-) ). My problem was when my foxie was a puppy she could fit through too!! as it is, my dog can leap over gate anyway.. luckily the less agile bichons cannot! LOL

When my parents' bichons come to stay, i gate off half the house to let the cat have her space from strange dogs and use a $25 wooden pressure fix baby gate with slats that have around a 9cm gap. Cat can fit through (and she is quite a big cat - can see her in my signature :-) ). My problem was when my foxie was a puppy she could fit through too!! as it is, my dog can leap over gate anyway.. luckily the less agile bichons cannot! LOL

Hi, a ray of hope :cheer::laugh: , I am getting a bit down with all the preperation. what is the make/brand of it? where did you buy it?

I tell you it is much easier with just my cat (will I get thrown out of here saying that :rofl::laugh:

Snowball

I didn't bother with gates - had a couple of chairs stopping annoying Dally puppy accessing the kitchen and his soft crate covering our bedroom door. The cats could get away whenever they chose :cheer: He was a right pain in the @r$e sometimes too.....one of my Burmese girls would lie defiantly on the puppy's bed. Puppy respected her immensely and lay elsewhere but eventually couldn't resist the tempting lilac tail draped so elegantly. He picked it up gently like a treasured toy and tried to take it to his other bed :rofl::laugh: Lilly has never forgiven him :laugh:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Guest RosieFT

hello again

I am not sure if you have it on the east coast, but I have seen the same gates for $25 at the "Big W" stores.

BUT keep in mind, it won't be as fixed as a bolted gate. If Rosie (dog) leapt over it and used it to get over, it would tilt - but maybe i don't do it tight enough?

Otherwise, just keep what you have, cats are super agile and will quickly learn to hop over :-)

((psst I sometimes wonder if we were crazy getting a dog, our cat is SOOOO much easier too!! ;-) ))

I don't use gates at all when it is just Rosie and Mishka - they get on really well and both have the run of the house, you just have to keep the food up and out the way. If Although , Mishka (cat) will eat Rosie's (dog) food on occasion if she has left it too long! LOL So remember, hopefully the gates will be short term.

hmm the other annoying thing is that Mishka cannot really play with toys (she only likes playing with those tiny fluffy mice) because Rosie wants in on it and ruins the game by stealing the mice and chomping them up . BUT when Mishka is in her wide eyed feisty cat mood - the two of them have fun together. ;-)

I have baby gates to stop the dogs, but I also have fat cats who couldn't fit through and couldn't jump over... I cut out part of one bar to make a square hole, then used the piece I cut out as a cross piece to go along the top of the hole. Cats can fit though, dogs can't. :laugh: I have included a very rough Paint picture to try and show you what I mean. :rofl:

post-3140-1256712402_thumb.jpg

thanks everyone. :laugh:

Kirty, that is a great idea, will show your diagram to my husband and if we cant find anything cheaper than what I have, we will do the modifications. It really is ridiculous, I survived one very active toddler without baby gates and now I am having to get 3 ;)

Rosie, will chase down a BigW, - they are around in Melbourne, just got to find one.

I need to keep the doors open, as I need to see what my lovable preschooler is up to, closed doors and an active boy is never a good idea, plus our cat will like to know he can escape from both my son and from our puppy to be :provoke:

Thanks agian, all your help is really appreicated

cheers

Snowball

Hi SB, our solution to this problem is to install the gate about 15cm off the ground so the cats can fit under. The only annoying part is having to step over the bottom part of the gate when you open it but our two gates are not in high access areas so it's not so bad.

goldieboy,

:) , another great solution.... now why didnt I think of that !!

Snowball[

quote name=GoldieBoy' date='30th Oct 2009 - 01:01 PM' post='4083685]

Hi SB, our solution to this problem is to install the gate about 15cm off the ground so the cats can fit under. The only annoying part is having to step over the bottom part of the gate when you open it but our two gates are not in high access areas so it's not so bad.

goldieboy,

:) , another great solution.... now why didnt I think of that !!

Snowball[

quote name=GoldieBoy' date='30th Oct 2009 - 01:01 PM' post='4083685]

What about having something, like a scratching post thingy, the cat could jump up onto and over the baby gate on each side of it.

We did the same, gate across the laundry door and a scratch pole with a platform on the laundry side with the platform positioned over the gate that our fat cat jumps onto, then it has a platform lower to the ground ....... she copes really well and the litter and her food is safe from scrounging puppies :laugh:

Bought the scratch pole from Reject shop around $35