How To Keep A Dogs Teeth Clean?

enna

One of my dogs recently had a few teeth extractions done while she was under a GA for something unrelated. The vet recommended I feed her Science Diet t/d, which I tried (even though I'm not too keen on the ingredients), but she is a bit of a fussy eater and doesn't like it.

She doesn't like raw meat or bones either, so I'm not exactly sure how to keep her teeth in good condition to avoid any further issues.

Has anyone tried using a tooth brush/paste for dogs? Did it seem to work? Did the dog accept it easily? Any places online where I can buy the brush/paste?

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers.

Yep you can get toothpaste for dogs. Can't use human stuff because there's too much fluoride and the dogs don't rinse afterwards so they are ingesting it which you don't want.

I use dog toothpaste when they don't get bones. They will all put up with it but only my puppy is willing and gets excited :( You don't get instant results, obviously, but I've been doing it on and off for about a month and there's definitely improvement so I'm sticking with it. Bought mine from a local pet supply store so don't know anywhere online.

Thanks Mim & Bonzawani. It's nice to hear first hand experiences of what works!

I'm pretty sure my dog will not take too kindly to having her teeth brushed, but with a bit of patience hopefully we'll get there. Her teeth are good now, she had a scale and polish as well, I just want to make sure they stay in good condition.

I googled Petzlife Oral Care Gel and it looks good, but the main ingredient seems to be grape seed extract. I know grapes can be poisonous to dogs, so is it OK to give them grape seed extract?

A dog that doesn't like bones :walkdog:.

Unless the teeth that are left are sore?

I'd persist with bones.

I'd skip a meal b4 offering to make sure your dog's really hungry, too.

Some toys like rope toys are adverised as like flossing teeth and other chew toys become ragged with chewing giving a cleaning effect.

Not sure as to how good this is, though?

Sorry, don't know about the dog toothpaste.

My understanding is that getting food away from the gumline with brushing is the most important part.

A dog that doesn't like bones :walkdog:.

I'd persist with bones.

Some toys like rope toys are adverised as like flossing teeth and other chew toys become ragged with chewing giving a cleaning effect.

My understanding is that getting food away from the gumline with brushing is the most important part.

Yeah, I know it's a little strange. Unfortunately she's 9 and I have been trying to give her bones her whole life, I don't think her tastes are likely to change now, or that it's because her teeth are sore. When I was having the worst time with her eating, she didn't eat for 3-4 days if it wasn't something she liked, so I don't think skipping a meal would help. Her eating has settled down in the last year or so, but there are still some things that she won't touch.

She doesn't actually like toys either. She has one toy that she loves, a soft cow (that no longer has a head anymore as she's been carrying it around with her constantly for 9 years), but she is at best disinterested, at worst scared of most other toys.

Also thanks Mim, guess I am just being overly cautious. I googled grape seed extract and found some sources saying it's OK, and some saying you shouldn't feed it...

A dog that doesn't like bones :thumbsup:.

I'd persist with bones.

One of mine will not eat bones, and has never enjoyed bones. He will eat chicken wings but that is about it

If you try and give him the kibble for oral health - he will vomit it back up....

I might look into that gel, thanks for the link Bonz