Canon Cameras

The 450D is better than the 1000D. The 1000D is the most entry level DSLR out of Canon's range.

Are you looking to buy just the body or body + lenses? That will dictate price.

Roughly though,

Body only 1000D is $700, 450D is $900.

450D + dual kit lens: $1200-1300

1000D + dual kit lens: $1100

Another that is worth a look at is the new 500D. It has HD video which is pretty cool. But it's quite a bit more.

$1500 body only

$2000 with lens

If those prices in your post are with lenses, you're doing well for price. Others might know where to get them cheaper, but I just went to my usual camera websites and had a look.

I have a 450d and I'm hoping to upgrade to the new 7d at some point next year. It's a great camera learn on and the twin lens kit gives you a big range of focal lengths to work with. I am not a huge fan of the lenses that come with it but for the price, they're pretty decent. It's taken nearly a year to work out their limitations and that's using them nearly everyday.

Note that in australia, they're referred to as the EOS 450D and 1000D - the Rebel XSI (and rebel XS) is the american release. it's no different but i've been in a store before where the sales person and a customer were in a fight because the sales person had no idea what rebel referred to - they kept saying "it's not a rebel, it's a canon" :flame:

The twin lens kit is definitely worth it - as is the 450d.

I have a 450d and I'm hoping to upgrade to the new 7d at some point next year. It's a great camera learn on and the twin lens kit gives you a big range of focal lengths to work with. I am not a huge fan of the lenses that come with it but for the price, they're pretty decent. It's taken nearly a year to work out their limitations and that's using them nearly everyday.

Note that in australia, they're referred to as the EOS 450D and 1000D - the Rebel XSI (and rebel XS) is the american release. it's no different but i've been in a store before where the sales person and a customer were in a fight because the sales person had no idea what rebel referred to - they kept saying "it's not a rebel, it's a canon" :flame:

The twin lens kit is definitely worth it - as is the 450d.

Let me know when you get that 7D so I can steal it... :flame:

The Kit contains:

1 x Canon EOS Rebel XSI 450D Digital SLR Camera Body

1 x Canon 18-55mm IS Lens

1 x Eyecup

1 x Neck Strap

1 x Vidoe Cable

1 x USB Cable

1 x Rechargeable lithium ion battery (LP-E5)

1 x Battery charger

1 x EOS Digital Solution CD

1 x User's guide

1 x 0.45 WIDE ANGLE Converter Lens

1 x 2x TELEPHOTO Converter Lens

For $869 its a factory demo

Is it worth it ?

What sort of photos are you planning to take? Are you looking for a camera to learn more and eventually upgrade to one of the higher versions (as someone is planning above going to the 7D)? The 1000D would just have a few less features than the 450/500D series. You can check them on www.dpreview.com to see if the missing features are actually something you need/want.

Also for a body buy in Australia and make sure it has the full Australian Warranty unless you are happy to ship back OS if there is a problem (many people wont buy 'grey' imports due to this but I cant remember what the rules are re warranty on those cameras).

I want to get a new camera to take all kinds of photos, and also my OH wants a great camera as he takes alot of photos for his band etc,

Not neccessarily wanting to upgrade later but figured if I can get a really good camera now it will last me for a while.

At the moment I have a kodak slr lol so this is an upgrade :)

It comes with 12 month limited warranty .As far as I can tell this is an Australian camera.

THe lenses have the brand name Zeikos ??

Thats why I posted here as I have no idea whats a good camera or a good deal.

The 450D is an excellent camera.

If you're going to be shooting bands a lot - low, crappy light usually - you may want to save up for a better body that will handle higher ISO better. The 450D is OK at 800 but after that you're really going for the grunge look most of the time (which can work very nicely, but it is a bit limiting).

You will also want the 50 1.8 at a minimum for a lens to shoot said band with. If you want something wider, head to the Sigma 30 1.4 - this is an outstanding lens.

But if you are after a nice, getting started but can do a bit more body - the 450D is a good choice.