Puppy Gets Skewer Stuck Down Its Throat

gavrhodes

Feed him mushy or liquid food.

I probably wouldn't even feed him or be encouraging him to drink at this stage incase there is a perforation that could well get infected. Best shot would be the IV fluids and some antibiotics. Perhaps even some anti-inflamitories would be of assistance as well.

Might be a long shot but are there any humanitarian agencies like The Red Cross or even other nations Armies or Navies in the area? They could possible provide some assistance as they all have doctors and nurses.

Wonder how the poor little mite is. I guess not enough time to tell.

Good luck. Hope to hear some good news. Maybe the pup has been lucky enough to have escaped serious injury and will heal well and cleanly.

well it was an intersting day to say the least. couldnt manage to get any care outside of ourselves for him after running around a bit. we managed at least to get a syringe (minus the needle) to feed him some water by force at first but later on he was quite eager to lick it himself. once he realised that we werent trying to hurt him it was much easier. i think most of the pain he is getting is just from the wound, which may not be as bad as first suspected, but it is simply impossible to guage what he is done. time will tell i guess

in the amazing way of dogs, he is now trotting around the house following my brother in law (his owner). he still occasionally moves too fast and sends himself into a fit of yelping due to pain, but he does seem better than this morning. we leave early tomorrow, so basically will do our best to set things up as best we can. this is their first ever dog, and to a degree i think it was inspired by the many times they have spoken on web cam with us using skype and seeing our iggies on our laps, desktop or generally as close to us as they can be. hopefully this will not end up being too nasty and their joy of dog ownership will continue.

wont be online till my return to aus after tomorrow, so will give updates then. many thanks for the assistance, as there is nothing as freaky as the idea of a sick animal without a vet. its not until you dont have access to them that you truly appreciate how lucky we are to have such quality vets at hand in australia.

here is a pic of newton as well as the skewr in question. the amount of blood on the skewer was about all we had to go by as to how far it went in. we are hoping that much of the blood was smear as opposed to how far in it was.

post-26957-1256977792_thumb.jpg

post-26957-1256977848_thumb.jpg

Poor little guy. Infection is my big fear :) It will be slow and painful if it happens :champagne::cheer: You've done well...and I am hoping/praying that the skewer has only scratched his oesophagus and not left holes !

fingers crossed for them...it must be such a worry.

I'm not a Vet so I only tentatively make this suggestion - although I see no harm in it. Mind you, I have no idea whether you'd be able to get this where you are anyway, so chances are the suggestion is going to be in vain. But I'm thinking that if you can get hold of some Active Manuka Honey - with the absolute HIGHEST UMF level possible, and give him some of that. You can mix it in with some of the water that you are syringing to him as well - that also might encourage him to drink more.

AMH is used for for natural healing wound and immune support, both externally and internally.

Edited by Erny

Would suggest but by now might not be needed. Get to a phone and phone a vet to discuss it over the phone of what you could or should be doing.

Good Luck and hopefully everything is ok.

Sometimes we never know how good we have it here is Aus

• 1 month later...