Dog Trailer Company

Bisart Dobes

I just went and looked at the Norking website and 2 things jumped out at me.

1/ plywood interior walls & want happens when one has puppies inthe trailer?? Would prefer a gal interior than you & not offered as an option.

2/ whirly gigs on each compartment to draw fresh air into the doors & side vents, and what happens when one is driving in the rain? You get wet dogs at the endof the trip. Still haven't yet worked out ho to combat that one. Any suggestions?

Belinda my Norking Sportsman has no plywood inside - all metal.

Mine also has 4 rotary ventilators (one per bay) to draw fresh air in through vents.

I have driven long distances in driving rain and inside has always remained 100% dry.

1/ plywood interior walls & want happens when one has puppies inthe trailer?? Would prefer a gal interior than you & not offered as an option.

2/ whirly gigs on each compartment to draw fresh air into the doors & side vents, and what happens when one is driving in the rain? You get wet dogs at the endof the trip. Still haven't yet worked out ho to combat that one. Any suggestions?

Hi Belinda, gal is probably not an option on these frames as it is only used where it will come into contact with weather elements. For instance a gal draw bar is a good idea.

Ply frame work in a float is IMO the best option. Steel is welded at each joint only. Timber frames if well made have so many different angled joints etc that they finish up being better made and quite often much stronger. Steel frames can split.

The timber is not accessible via the berths. It is all inside the walls and well protected. A good float will all be waterproofed inside the berths either by steel or something else. Our float is rhinoes throughout all floor and walls of the berths as well as the centre storage.

The vents are designed with a lip to prevent any water access.

Hope this helps.

Our Lockwood trailer has ply wall linings and we have never had a problem with pups chewing etc. However ours has all edges sealed etc so that dogs can't get an edge to start gnawing on.

With the whirly gigs on ours there are block off plates under the whirly gig which allows you to shut off air flow etc through the vent. Also the whirly gigs have a vertical ring under the spinner so water can't run across and into the vent. The air sort of goes in through the spinner and down the vertical shaft. Never had water get in.

Belinda, if you mean the vents on the side of the float door and/or panels, they are manufactured in angles that will not allow any water in. The vents all face downwards. My float gets no water at all in the berths. We have driven in torrential down pours. As long as the float is made well and by a reputable company, you should not have any problems.

I have travelled in my float in heavy raisn also and held my face right up to the vents on the doors to see if I could feel any spray, and nothing. The doors on my float are caravan doors.

A couple of pics to show you.

post-27202-1262162778_thumb.jpg

post-27202-1262162788_thumb.jpg

Edited by dyzney

My advantage trailer doesn't leak at all...........

My old tricky trailer with the shark grill on the doors used to leak even though the grills are facing down.......they leaked a LOT, and it was nothing to get somewhere and find all the dog beds covered in muddy road water.

I wouldn't get a trailer with a lot of shark grill again.........I have found with the vents and the whirlies that the Advantage is cool and having taken a ride inside it, there is plenty of air flow.

I have a toldeo made 2000, which does have the shark grills. From looking at the Norwood site they have the same setup. Does anyone here have a norwood & have they experienced this problem. BTW my toledo has a gal interior.

As stated previously, I have a Norking float and it simply does not let any water in - even in heavy rain on the highway.

• 2 years later...

After reading briefly through this thread, there seems to be some confusion regarding the Sharden Trailers.

Sharden have been 'bought out' and now trade under 'Norking Manufacturing' and they are on the Peninsular.

Bisart Dobes - there is a HUGE difference between the Advantage & Norking Trailers. They are nothing alike and the

price difference is also great. I very much liked the Advantage but what I wanted was going to cost me about $8500!!!

I bought a Norking Sportsman4 with a few 'extras' and changes and I am thrilled with it. Cost me under $4500!

Norking are GREAT to deal with too.... can't reccomend them highly enough.

I am the daughter of Trevor McLellan, the owner of Sharden Trailers. Sharden Trailers was not 'bought out', the business was CLOSED when my dad died of cancer in June 2009. I don't want anyone to think that his work is continuing with another company when it is not. My mum still gets the odd call about Sharden Trailers but she tells people that she is no longer involved in the trailer business and she cannot refer them to anyone.