Retained Milk Tooth?

Ruby has a retained milk tooth and I have never experienced this before... She seems totally fine, her gums are fine, the rest of her teeth are in and it's not changed her bite...

Do I need to have it removed if it's not doing anything?

I have no issues having it removed if it's better to, just don't feel the need if its not necessary...

I can post a pic if you need... :thumbsup:

Edited by brigie bear

Retained deciduous teeth should be removed if the adult teeth have already erupted.

Leaving them in place can affect the position of the jaws and adult teeth and affect peridontal health as well.

Have a chat to your vet, they are frequently removed at the time of desexing for convenience.

Is it one of her inscisors or a canine?

It can affect adult teeth placement if left Do you show at all.

Sorry for all the questions.

I have just loosened and removed a lower baby inscisor out of my girl.

Chances are it would of come out by itself at some stage but if it doesnt it can or may have an effect on the adult teeth coming through.

Post us a pikky please.

How old is she?

Retained deciduous teeth should be removed if the adult teeth have already erupted.

Leaving them in place can affect the position of the jaws and adult teeth and affect peridontal health as well.

Have a chat to your vet, they are frequently removed at the time of desexing for convenience.

Ah ok.. her adult teeth are already all out.. Oops! I hope me not having them removed isnt going to do any damage to her in the future.

Will give the vet a call tomorrow and have a chat with him about it... Should book her in to get spayed at the same time actually.. Just havent decided on showing yet... Good idea thanks for that!

Edited by brigie bear

Is it one of her inscisors or a canine?

It can affect adult teeth placement if left Do you show at all.

Sorry for all the questions.

I have just loosened and removed a lower baby inscisor out of my girl.

Chances are it would of come out by itself at some stage but if it doesnt it can or may have an effect on the adult teeth coming through.

Post us a pikky please.

How old is she?

Canine...

We don;t show but havent ruled it out and also havent ruled out agility... (hence not having had her spayed yet - just unsure yet)

She's 6 months

Uploading a pic now...

I would remove that one. There's a small tartar deposit already and no convincing discolouration of the tooth to suggest that it's going to shift by itself any time soon. I think a chat with your vet is a good idea :thumbsup:

Thanks for that - will give him a call in the morning... I'm sure he'll be happy to hear from us (again lol) - we spent SO much time there with our rainbow bridge boy!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how common this is? Why it happens etc? Raised 6 dogs and never even heard of it before! Frankie had a partially rotten milk tooth but the vet just told me to flick it every day and it would come out (which it did in 2 days...)

Edited by brigie bear

I'm not sure why it happens, perhaps the adult tooth doesn't come through directly on top of the other + the deciduous tooths' root does not resorb as it should. We have taken out quite a few deciduous teeth with amazingly strong roots.

It's very common in small breeds though. I would definitely remove them/it.

Very common in small breeds and much better to get them out as they encorage more tartar build up on the near teeth.

Why don't you do some show training and get out there and try it? Then you can decide if it is your 'thing'

My min pin had two teeth exactly like that, with her adult teeth fully through. I was worried about food getting caught between them and causing disease so I had them out at the vet - a very quick easy procedure (did involved a general anaesthetic, though), and cost about $110. Her mouth looked so much better with them gone! :thumbsup: