Muscle Wastage With Predisolone

Bokezu

FD thats all very interesting stuff, I have googled glyphosate and seems quite safe..... after reading lots of reports, have yet to check on the insulation bats

eta just checked and nothing apart from lung tests in humans

Edited by Bokezu

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another sort of weird but really interesting piece of information that was given to me by at least 2 vets that I can remember is this... (and this is from those who go regularly to the states to study and over there there is a lot more information on this disease) with IMT there seems to be a link to black or tan or black and tan dogs, therefore they are saying that it is quite commonly color related. Obviously not all dogs contracting it fall into this category, but apparently it is the majority according to what they have told me. And Berty heard the same thing also, and used different vets to me.

Some great old posts there FD. good of you to bring those back.

Interesting Dyzney!! Ruby was predominantly tan & white, but she was considered a tri MF as she had patches of black on her... It is the same that there is a predisposition in certain breeds. I know it runs high in BC's as well as another breed I cant think of the top of my head right now... Poodle maybe??

Yep, Poodle... IMHA and ITP are more commonly seen in dogs than cats. It is believed that cocker spaniels, toy and miniature poodles and Old English sheepdogs are breeds predisposed to develop IMHA. The latter two breeds and standard poodle are also at increased risk for developing ITP. Most affected dogs are middle-aged females. No breed or sex predilection is appreciated in cats. You should remember, however, that these conditions can develop in any dog or cat of any age, either sex, neutered or not. There is no scientific evidence that these diseases are caused by anything you feed your pet or where your pet lives.

Taken from this website.. http://www.cloudnet.com/~jdickson/imhaitphandout.htm

Interestingly the vets always advised that Ruby's was primary.. After finding out about the lymphoma I am truly thinking it was now secondary, and just never picked up on the lymphoma (may have been undiagnosed for many years) or developed it later, but had the cell abnormalities but was never picked up on??

Edited by fiery_di

Interesting Dyzney!! Ruby was predominantly tan & white, but she was considered a tri MF as she had patches of black on her... It is the same that there is a predisposition in certain breeds. I know it runs high in BC's as well as another breed I cant think of the top of my head right now... Poodle maybe??

Yeh, I have also heard Poodles and OES, but I have not known of any of these with it, but I have heard commonly Cockers, Rotts and Dobes, and have known several of each of these with it, mostly Rott, but that is probably because I move in those circles.

Once again though, they are not getting it because of their color, but that these colors or breeds seem to be more likely to have the predisposition to contract it if they come into contact with or ingest oen of the likely causes.

Very full on disease. :thumbsup:

Edited by dyzney

Yep, Poodle... IMHA and ITP are more commonly seen in dogs than cats. It is believed that cocker spaniels, toy and miniature poodles and Old English sheepdogs are breeds predisposed to develop IMHA. The latter two breeds and standard poodle are also at increased risk for developing ITP. Most affected dogs are middle-aged females. No breed or sex predilection is appreciated in cats. You should remember, however, that these conditions can develop in any dog or cat of any age, either sex, neutered or not. There is no scientific evidence that these diseases are caused by anything you feed your pet or where your pet lives.

Interestingly the vets always advised that Ruby's was primary.. After finding out about the lymphoma I am truly thinking it was now secondary, and just never picked up on the lymphoma (may have been undiagnosed for many years) or developed it later, but had the cell abnormalities but was never picked up on??

Horses and humans can also get it.

and yes, definitely most common in middle aged bitches. That is one of the reasons I was so surprised to hear about Jordy, and thought it may have been secondary, but then he is so young to have one of possible secondary illnesses to bring it on. Possible, but you would think unlikely. but then, as boke has said, they have ruled out secondary anyway.

Another sort of weird but really interesting piece of information that was given to me by at least 2 vets that I can remember is this... (and this is from those who go regularly to the states to study and over there there is a lot more information on this disease) with IMT there seems to be a link to black or tan or black and tan dogs, therefore they are saying that it is quite commonly color related. Obviously not all dogs contracting it fall into this category, but apparently it is the majority according to what they have told me. And Berty heard the same thing also, and used different vets to me.

colour relation is really interesting

Vizslas can get auto-immune diseases, there are Vizslas that have IMT not common but they do get it. My vet had diagnosed a Goldie 10 days before Jordan, and interestingly a Vizsla lady had her girl diagnosed a few years ago now, was at exactly this time of year

It is a bit worrying and surprising about Jordy isnt it!! I actually find it fascinating to research. Yes it is a dreadful horrible disease, but I am appreciative that I did research it back then and now today as if it can help anyone else in any way just a little bit then it is definitely beneficial.

colour relation is really interesting

Vizslas can get auto-immune diseases, there are Vizslas that have IMT not common but they do get it. My vet had diagnosed a Goldie 10 days before Jordan, and interestingly a Vizsla lady had her girl diagnosed a few years ago now, was at exactly this time of year

Hmmm, interesting about the time of year Boke.. Ruby twice went down with it at the latter part of the year both times!! Which is the same as your Jordy going down with it, as well as the goldie and other Vizsla..

I think your Ruby's was probably primary FD. Sorry didn't go back and check earlier posts again, but wasn't she diagnosed quite some time later with lymphoma. I don't think it is likely her cells were abnormal when she had her ITP. If ITP is secondary the abnormalities would have to have been so much so that the immune system detected them, if you follow me. Now if the vets could not detect anything with their testing, I doubt her immune system could have, at least to do with lymphoma. Also, the vets told me that any underlying cause to secondary IMT would show up if the dog did not pass away already within max 6 months at the most, as it would have been that developed.

So, and of course this is purely speculation, I am thinking Ruby's lymphoma was coincidental or that maybe it is secondary to having an ITP previously for some reason or even drug related from the IMT. Who knows. So possibly a link, but maybe not the way you are thinking? does that make sense?

Ironic both of you mention time of year, both my girls and Berty's girl all diagnosed Jan or Feb, so hot weather. I wasn't going to mention that as I wondered if it was far fetched, but now you mention it, I thought I would add it in. :)

thats correct dyz , diagnosed mid/late jan and honey passed away 12 feb and i remember clearly how hot those 3 weeks were as we had an air con installed just for her ! it often crosses my mind about weather/ time of year but i kick myself everyday since she passed that i must have missed something ,

but i know in time that will pass (i hope)

her last vaccination was august prior to her death in feb ? and we hadnt used rymadol or anything prior so for me im just going to blame the weather ! cause i have nothing else to blame (that i know off)

bokezu , hope your boy feels better and you too..

Well Jordy was happy to see us :) they had just finished the transfusion...his gums are sooo pale, there is still blood dripping from his mouth. He kept looking at us both like "wow mum and dad both came" we normally go at different times. He came out wagging his tail and gave us both a kiss, we took him out for a toilet break, he did both, then wanted to go back inside, he led us straight to the big pen where he has been each time we visit but he had to go back in the cage where he had the transfusion......I could see he was disappointed.

I thought it was strange how he new he wasn't coming home...........never thought for one minute he was coming, new he was staying there. He is very weak and really needs to produce some platelets tonight, she could see a few but said she could name them all. So now we wait for tomorrow and see what happens, my beautiful boy, it was wonderful to cuddle him, and when Kevin cuddled him I saw his eyes well up. The vet rang and said he is now in the big cage, so he'd be happy with that ;)

Tomorrow is going to be a good day for Jordan :)

Tomorrow Jordy will have a turn around, it will be his day. :)

Dyz was the same Boke, she knew she was staying at the vet each time I visited. I noticed it also, and thought it a strange thing. The dogs are amazing aren't they.

Hope Jordy enjoys his big cage tonight and sleeps well.

Edited by dyzney

Sadly our "Jordy" was given his wings this morning :laugh:

He went down hill after the transfusion on Monday night and by this morning we had to let him go.

He passed peacefully as we both held him

Our hearts are broken

R.I.P. our BEAUTIFUL BRAVE HANDSOME BOY

"VALE" BOKEZU RUADHAN RIORDAN

26 - 7 - 08 _______ 25 - 11 - 09

JORDAN

he was just 16 months old, and Mum and Dads special boy since the moment he was born

Bokezu, what a sad sad loss. I am very upset to hear Jordy lost his battle with IMT. ;)

What you have been through in the last few days has been nothing short of tragic and gut wrenching.

I so wish that it had not ended this way.

My love reaches out to you both at this time. :laugh:

You did everything you could to save Jordy.... sadly it was just not meant to be.

Spread your wings Jordan :mad

You were a very brave boy, and your mum knows you tried your best to stay. But God has other bigger plans for you now.

Be free and timeless over rainbow bridge :confused: and please give our love to all the other beautiful dogs that have also sadly passed and left their owners behind.