Can Anyone Recommend A Good Vet In Newcastle, Maitland Area

Bow Wow

Can anyone recommend a good, trust worthy vet in the Newcastle, Maitland area?

After reading about C5 vacs and Heartworm injections and the risks they both have, both of which my vet gave Georgea at 12 weeks.

I want to find a vet that knows the risks and is only after helping the animal, not helping fill his pockets. :laugh:

Can anyone recommend a good, trust worthy vet in the Newcastle, Maitland area?

After reading about C5 vacs and Heartworm injections and the risks they both have, both of which my vet gave Georgea at 12 weeks.

I want to find a vet that knows the risks and is only after helping the animal, not helping fill his pockets. :laugh:

Martin Strong at Motto Farm Vet Clinic

Martin Strong was my suggestion, too! Although, now we are about to have our first litter here any day I have found out that the vets at Motto Farm are only on-call until 10pm at night!!! After that the phone switches through to some Newcastle Emergency Animal Clinic at Broadmeadow which is a long drive for us if Viviane has any whelping problems in the middle of the night. That was a bit disappointing....

One of our friends is a dog vet at Belmont Animal Hospital. You also get good treatment at Sugarloaf Animal Hospital (Mark Simpson) at West Wallsend, but I think the prices there may be on the high side (I'm happy to be corrected on that).

Deb :D

Yep Sugarloaf are on the high side as far as i know..

Not sure where you are located The Ark, but Im fairly sure that Maitland vet (the one on the highway) is 24/7.. Im 90% sure I have read it on their sign..

As for us, we use Cessnock West.. but thats because we are at Kurri and its closest to us (not really, we are just down the road from Kurri vet, but I refuse to use them :) )

Adamstown Vet is great - we've seen Paul & Simon there both are lovely and really great will talk you through everything - we had a big discussion around which vaccination to use earlier this year and they really helped and gave pretty unbiased advice which we really appreciated (plus they do titre testing there) ..... Hamilton Vet clinic is also good - we go there for our cat (and previously before we moved to Adamstown for Mort) - can recommend both really

Martin Strong was my suggestion, too! Although, now we are about to have our first litter here any day I have found out that the vets at Motto Farm are only on-call until 10pm at night!!! After that the phone switches through to some Newcastle Emergency Animal Clinic at Broadmeadow which is a long drive for us if Viviane has any whelping problems in the middle of the night. That was a bit disappointing....

One of our friends is a dog vet at Belmont Animal Hospital. You also get good treatment at Sugarloaf Animal Hospital (Mark Simpson) at West Wallsend, but I think the prices there may be on the high side (I'm happy to be corrected on that).

Deb :)

Ditto - Martin Strong, I have tried quite a few over the years in this region but he is the one I would recommend. Adamstown is very expensive and would not help me out with an emergency a few years back even though my family had been clients for over 20 years, so would never go there again.

Edited by carabelle

Deb :)

Not if you alert them to the fact that your bitch might be in whelp that evening. I recently had a bitch who had mastitis and the on call vet rang me a few times after 10pm to see if she was okay. My friend had a caesarean on her bitch at 2am performed by Martin Strong at Motto Farm not that long ago.

Edited by carabelle