Samoyed Santa Sleigh Run

pip1981

This is our second year participating in Santa Sleigh runs organised by Dakota's dam and sister's owner.

We really enjoy it, and this year we introduced Winta ( a member of Dakota's extended familty that I found on DOL) and his friend the Dal/BC x rescue. They had a good time too.

I posted these pics in the Spitz thread, but thought some others may like to see them too :cheer:

Enjoy

My girl Dakota

PB290122.jpg

Her litter sister Star

PB290123.jpg

Her Mum Brianna

PB290125.jpg

Her distant cousin? Winta

PB290124.jpg

The honourary 'Samoyed for a day' Deni

PB290126.jpg

The whole team patiently waiting while the kids open their pressies inside

PB290127.jpg

All finished

PB290133.jpg

Thanks for looking, Carissa :D

Edited by pip1981

They are just stunning!!!

What are the negatives of owning a Sammie?? They are just soooooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful (hair shed and frequent grooming aren't a problem here - just part and parcel of the package)

What is their temperament like?

Very beautiful!

Colliehound

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! We've just had our second sleigh pull today, I will add pics of that soon, although I still failed to get a good pic of the run itself, just plenty of the gorgeous doggies.

colliehound:

I don't really know anything about the temperament of your breeds, so I can't compare at all, but I have to say (without bias), that out of all the breeds I've come across, Sammies are the friendliest, most gentle dogs. They adore people, especially children. Most Sammies I've met are fine around all other dogs, but our girl in particular thinks every person/child/dog/cat is her new best friend.

They are no where near as hard to train as is often decribed of them, the only negative there would be their natural instinct to pull, so it can be hard to train walking without pulling...lol, but then again, we're not experts, perhaps we haven't persisted enough.

I can't speak for all Sams, but Dakota seems highly intelligent, she took to basic commands first try with usual guidance for puppies, and does not need rewards to do as asked, praise is enough for her. She knows at least 7 of her toys by name and will get them when asked. She moves in reverse if we say "back", and if she is trying to get to me or something from a certain direction and can't, I just say "go around the other way" and use a hand gesture and she does it. I have on more than one occasion, offered her a choice of 3 items for dinner, she will sniff each one and then nudge her choice with her nose. She's plays with her ball and another toy by herself, by making the ball spin in a random direction with her foot.

Obvious negatives, you have already mentioned, it's all about the hair...but you learn to love fluff when you love a Sammie. If you're not showing them, you don't have to be ridiculous about the grooming, they only matt in certain areas, as long as you keep those in check and do the rest less often, it's fine. No doggy odour, so hardly need bathing, just a brush will get them sparkling again most times. They obviously get a bit hot in summer, but seem to handle it better than you would expect to in a fur coat....lol.

The shedding is not constant, for Dakota there are a few very bad months of it (like NOW) when she's shedding her undercoat, and then it's less. She is desexed, I believe entire females shed twice a year, and males, once, not 100% sure on that though.

I hope I've given you an insight, but my knowledge is limited to what I've learnt from Dakota, her breeder and on DOL. She is my first (but not my last) Samoyed. I'm telling you now, I would never be without one!

:)

Beautiful doggies, We had a pup at our obedience school today in my class and he was the smartest little pup, so clever picked up every command right away and just a very confident little dog. Happy around the other dogs big and small. Heres a couple ofpicture of My girl Tully and Sunny (the Samoyed)and a little Malt x shitzu Ruby, all the white doggys together, which was funny cause they were out numbered by lot of black dogs today!! Samoyeds are certainly beautiful dogs. Possibly the breeder of this little guy is a doler? as they got him from a reg breeder on full reg.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

Edited by tlc

tlc: he is one cute puppy! the last pic is quite funny, i think tully is watching Sunny pee, have a close look, am I imagining things? lol

tully is very sweet by the way, as are your others, love your xmas sig.

don't think there are any Sam breeders on DOL, just owners, but I'm not sure? regardless, i'm glad to hear he's a little reg. pup.

thanks for sharing! :)

;) i think your right, I didnt even notice!!

Thanks for your lovely comments, your boy and his family are simply stunning, what more can one say about Samoyeds they are just beautiful!!