Maltese/shitzu

DogCat

Mongrel through and through, and are horrible usually when mixed together

An unfair statement, such a comment is akin to saying that a child from mixed parentage is horrible, you cannot generalise.

umm nothing alike at all, dogs are not humans

cross those two breeds and conformation goes down the toilet, I agree the vast majority are horrible

I am not advocating cross breeding but realistically speaking....what is so dastardly wrong with a maltese x shih tzu's conformation? I have seen a large number of maltese x shih tzus in my life time and none came across as having a "horrible" conformation, in fact I would go so far as saying that they appeared to be very healthy and robust.

I fully concur. All other Maltese/shitzu owners I have ever talked to over the past 15 years all adore their dog(s) & the dog(s) their owners. Never once has any Maltese/shitzu owner ever told me anything derogative about the Maltese/shitzu X breed - its was always quite the contrary.

We had one for nearly 15 years. He was the ugliest thing I've ever seen, his lower jaw came out over half the length of his top jaw, his front was about as East/West as you can get, flat feet, weak pasterns, roached back, bowed hind legs.

He had a nice coat though, thick and barely shed, would have been easy to maintain if he didn't attack during a grooming session. His patella were fine but he did tear one cruciate and snapped the other so had both replaced. He had his good and bad points, temperament wise I don't k ow if that was us or breeding or a combo of both. He was very smart, although seriously dog aggressive (not helped due to being attacked on more than one occasion), we did private obedience lessons and he made it to trial level! He also loved agility (muzzled during class lol), so he never competed in anything. Maybe if we knew then what we know now his temperament would have been better.... But the things that cannot be changed are his confirmation and that was just unpleasant, he didn't seem to have any physical issues but sure makes me cringe thinking about it!!

Yes, we loved him dearly. But would I ever get another one??? No way in Hell.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The word 'mongrel' is really just a word for cross bred.

The definition is simply a plant or an animal resulting from the cross of different breeds

The fact the word is also used in a derogatory way in society makes it sound worse, but really it's no different to calling a female dog a bitch - it is what it is.

A Maltese/Shih Tzu is a cross and therefore could be referred to as a mongrel.

In my opinion, it would be a rare occasion to find another dog of the same breeding with a similar personality. There are just way too many variables involved when breeding together two different breeds, even if the lines behind each different breed were similar (which would be a rarity in any situation involving cross bred dogs being bred as the breeders in these situations usually focus on breeding the crosses so the linage behind them would most likely be different).

eta - I have a top picture of a messed up mouth of a Maltese x Shih Tzu!

Edited by stormie

As much as I love my Barkley, I would never get another cross breed dog - unless it was from a rescue and even then I would still prefer a purebred dog.

I have to admit though that they (maltese x shih tzu) have a certain appeal and even my OH, who usually dislikes small fluffy dogs has come around to Barkley. Although I actually think that there might be schnauzer somewhere in his family history, going by his colour and markings (looks just like a black and silver schnauzer)

Here is a pic of them snuggling together.

post-35373-1290078164_thumb.jpg

post-35373-1290078180_thumb.jpg

Adnil were the two Danes from the same breeder of similar breeding/lines?

Hi Stormie, the same breeder and breeding lines. Having had both purebreds and now I have 3 dogs (1 purebred, 2 crossbreeds), in my opinion, they don't have any the issues we had with the danes. I'm sure things have changed now, but with the danes (and we all adored them and in my honest opinion) are one of the best dogs to have (they were all calm, biddable, great family dogs), but we had issues with skin irritations on three of them. One had an undershot jaw as well and did not develop like the other danes did (conformation) and he could be aggressive with other dogs, not people though. The other 3 were wonderful with all dogs, people etc.