When Is He Likely To Stop Growing Upwards?

ButerflyGirl

I have a Koolie x Rottie (Rottie was the mum).

At the moment he is just over 8 moths old and his growth upwards seems to be slowing down, is this likely to be as tall as he gets or is it just a lull before another growth spurt?

I had heard that for the larger breeds like Rotties and German Shepards they tend to stop growing upwards, around the 9 month mark and then start to fill out, is this generally true?

Vanessa

The big growth spurts should be over by about 8 months but dogs continue to grow a little in height and to develop more muscularly for some time after. The only way to know for sure if your dog is fully grown is to establish whether or not his growth plates have closed.

Edited by poodlefan

• 1 year later...

deffinately depends on the breed a basic guideline for my breed is up to 12m they go up, from 12 months they go wide ahaha, but every dog is different when they are young they could have a large growth spurt then stop for a while then go again.

Guest english.ivy

My Pointer pup has finally stopped growing in height, I think. He seemed to stop around 12 months, he was desexed at 7ish months.

He is now at the breed standard for a male Pointer, 27 inches. He's a big boy. His father is 27 inches.

Hos growth plates look to be closed and done, thankfully!

eta he seemed to stop growing in height about 10 months old then all of a sudden he grew over a week.

Edited by english.ivy

I have a doberman who has a bit of rotty in him who to date has not been desexed. He did most of his growing by about 8-9 months, but continued to grow slowly (and actually had a couple of short spurts too) until he was about 18 months. He probably gained about another 2 inches at the shoulder from when he turned 1. We could tell he'd finished growing because we were finally able to get some weight to stick on him. Then he just started to get really musclely and ridiculously strong, and is continuing to bulk up.

Seems like it just depends on the actual dog.

I have a doberman who has a bit of rotty in him who to date has not been desexed. He did most of his growing by about 8-9 months, but continued to grow slowly (and actually had a couple of short spurts too) until he was about 18 months. He probably gained about another 2 inches at the shoulder from when he turned 1. We could tell he'd finished growing because we were finally able to get some weight to stick on him. Then he just started to get really musclely and ridiculously strong, and is continuing to bulk up.

Seems like it just depends on the actual dog.

Can we have some recent pics please :cheer: He was quite lean when I saw him last.

Mine appeared to stop growing at 8 months but I think she has been really slowly growing over the last few months (she is 1 year) as she has oncreased in weight, but actually looks thinner.

I have a Koolie x Rottie (Rottie was the mum).

At the moment he is just over 8 moths old and his growth upwards seems to be slowing down, is this likely to be as tall as he gets or is it just a lull before another growth spurt?

I had heard that for the larger breeds like Rotties and German Shepards they tend to stop growing upwards, around the 9 month mark and then start to fill out, is this generally true?

Vanessa

LOL HE LOOKS LIKE A CATAHOULA DOG! so cute

My gsd is a year and 9 months old and I swear he's still filling out.

SOME dogs, not all, but SOME... i have heard, can grow up to the 3yo mark. I'm not sure whether that is true or not but that's hat I have heard.

I have also heard that gsd's (and larger dogs im assuming) grow in height up until a year to 15 months and then they start filling out until they are 2 (or 3)...

Again, I could be wrong... but at 8 months? I would be surprised if your dog stopped growing now.

my girl is also 8 months old and she has a lot more growing to do (Steve checked her growth plates).