Buying Second Hand Clippers

Snap

Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some guidance in the right direction here. I am looking to buy a set of cheap clippers for my 3yo cav, Ollie. I don't want this to be a big investment because I am very low on money and we would only be clipping him about once a year for summer.

I was wondering what people on here thought of these two options that I found on gumtree:

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Pets-pet-su...QAdIdZ175894851

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Pets-pet-su...QAdIdZ176625430

Thanks! Oh and I know that ideally I should be getting new ones for $200+ but it really isn't an option right now.

Snap

Thanks for the reply :welcome: Yes it's $65 at all the places I've contacted but I'm a bit embarassed what they'll think about the matts in his fur that have snuck up on us :laugh:

They'll probably charge you for removing them and shave your dog to the skin. With matted dogs there are few options other than that.

I doubt a pair of pet clippers would be up to that task.

Are they so bad you can't split them?

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks for the reply :welcome: Yes it's $65 at all the places I've contacted but I'm a bit embarassed what they'll think about the matts in his fur that have snuck up on us :laugh:

No need to be embarrassed at any groomers, I am sure we've all seen a lot worse! Do you know how to splice the matts?

As a full time groomer mats are no issue & a good groomer will be able to access the knots as to whether they can be brushed out or beyond help.

Groomers see the very best to matted messes.

In the photos it looks like he has a very fine sparse coat so clipping him would require a 5 or 7 blade which will be additional to what you buy & approx $70 plus

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know how to splice matts, these are quite close to his skin, on his stomach. I guess it's probably safe to say that this is a job for a groomer?

You can use scissors or a comb.Instead of brushing like normal use the end tip to loosen the knot.You cant brush it out in once piece BUT you can work the knot so you are left with the major part which is easy to remove.

The action is simple down ward motion with the tip.Find the knot & use ytour fingers to pull/tease apart what you can & then splice with the comb

See if you can buy Cowboy Magic Detangler and Shine. It's brilliant at detangling matts. You work it in with your fingers and brush, brush, brush.

I have 2 Cavaliers, one with a big heavy coat and one with a fine coat. The fine coat matts more easily whereas it's unusual to find a matt on the heavy coated boy. If I ever ever find one on the big coated boy, it's in the fine hair behind the ears.

I brush them daily and give them a comb through every second day so we don't have many problems with matts. if I do find one its only a small one and the Cowboy Magic untangles it.

Have never had my dogs clipped. I trim with a good pair of scissors.